What's new

computer connected to 2 ISPs at once?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RaptorWatcher

Occasional Visitor
Just stumbled across something odd.
I have 2 ISPs. I connected my computer (wired) to my primary modem which was bridged.
I then forgot about the wireless card configured to connect to my router which was connected to to the second ISP.
The network icon at the bottom right says that I am connected to both Broadband and wireless. Both have internet access.... so is this an unorthodox way of achieving dual WAN? if I stop either one the other continues to work? how is this possible and is it doable?

Any thoughts are appreciated

Sure it's possible, but only for the specific computer you can connect like this (and any others similarly connected, of course).

Yes you can be connected with both your wired and wireless connection at the same time. Your PC will only use one internet access at a time. You can choose which adapter has priority, your wired or wireless. If one connection to the internet goes down then your computer should use the other for internet. It will not use both paths to the internet (at the same time) to give you more bandwidth or speed.

Sure it's possible, but only for the specific computer you can connect like this (and any others similarly connected, of course).
Yes.. since the primary modem is bridged, in THEORY only 1 port should be used.. but i have plugged in 2 computers and they both have access to the internet!

Yes you can be connected with both your wired and wireless connection at the same time. Your PC will only use one internet access at a time. You can choose which adapter has priority, your wired or wireless. If one connection to the internet goes down then your computer should use the other for internet. It will not use both paths to the internet (at the same time) to give you more bandwidth or speed.
Thanks.. How do I assign priority to the wired vs the wireless paths?
Yes.. I don't get bonding unfortunately! But it is a poormans setup for dual wan. Albeit the rest of the network is inaccessible since it is connected to the router.

Yes.. since the primary modem is bridged, in THEORY only 1 port should be used.. but i have plugged in 2 computers and they both have access to the internet!

Two computers should work with some ISP's. They usually provide 2 IP addresses by default. A third computer should not work (for long). Can you verify that those two have different WAN IP's?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!