What's new

Config multiple vlans and multiple DHCP pools on managed switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gavcol

New Around Here
Hi all,

Is there any way I can achieve the setup below using the an Asus RT-AX88U(Merlin 386.3_2) & a TP-Link TL-SG2008P managed switch ?
I think I'm half way there but need help with the final hurdle.

I have a broadband (FTTC) modem connected to the the WAN port on the Asus router.
Most of my devices connect directly or wirelessly to the router but I cannot easily use it for separate VLANs or separate DHCP pools and so I've bought the TL-SG2008P managed switch to handle this.

From my research over the past week or so, I'm looking at connecting the router (with DHCP disabled) to port 8 on the TL-SG2008P and let the switch manage the separate DHCP pools for each VLAN (though I will also need some static IPs for devices on each VLAN).

On the switch, there's a default VLAN
VLANID 1 1/0/1-8 system-vlan
and I've setup the following 802.1Q VLANs:
VLANID 3 1/0/-8 Intranet
VLANID 4 1/0/-8 Internet Only (TV, XBOX, Chromecast, Firestick etc + any guest wifi devices)
VLANID 5 1/0/-8 HomeAuto

I would prefer to use different subnets for each vlan so I've setup these 3 DHCP pools
xxx.xxx.3.0
xxx.xxx.4.0
xxx.xxx.5.0
and used manual binding for the static IP addresses for some devices in each vlan (it's annoying in the TP-Link that I can't define a text description for each MAC/IP address
sad_smile.png
)

From here I believe I need to use DHCP Relay (because DHCP L2 relay is only when using the same subnet) but not sure how I need to setup the "DHCP Relay Config" and/or the DHCP Interface relay and/or the DHCP VLAN relay.

I think I may need to go to the Interface menu and setup the Routing config but not sure what the config should be.
The point of the VLANs and separate DHCP pools is to isolate devices from each other and so I don't need much comms/traffic between vlans other than the following :
- Ensure internet traffic from the router is available to all devices on each VLAN.
- manage the HASSIO on a raspberry pi on VLANID 5 , from a pc on VLANID 3 without allowing anything from VLANID 5 to see or connect to devices on VLANID 3.

Any help would be very much appreciated ?

Thanks Gav

Last edited: