What's new

Configuration advice when using Bell Pure Fibre

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mister2088

Regular Contributor
Hi Asus-Merlin friends.
I am currently using ax88u with merlin (388.1) on top of a rogers' coda box (in bridgemode). I love it.
I am thinking of switching to Bell Pure fibre hi-speed as I can reduce costs for more speeds. Conversely, Rogers has been pretty stable so this is all about a 'better deal'.

Now for those in Canada (Toronto area):

1. Any positive or negative experiences with using Bell's services?
2. For Bell: As I understand it, Bell would give one modem / wifi hub to be shared with Internet activity and streaming (TV). If so, does anyone have any guidance on using asus-merlin on top of this? (assuming the Bell appliance can be run in bridge mode) ?

If you prefer to discus privately, send me a DM. Thanks All!

I can help you with that one, since I am using RTAX88U with merlin firmware and Bell TV service. First thing first there is no bridge mode with Bell modem, instead pppoe pass through is used, which basically allow external router acquire public ip address and avoid NAT directly. What I have done is basically use lan port of Bell modem to wire directly in to wan port of asus router, under wan section of asus router, choose pppoe and then use your username and password given by bell. Regarding TV you run that directly of Bell supplied modem and with reference to Bell services experience, I am on fiber, have a great experience, almost no downtime and as added bonus get low latency compare to cable.

Last edited:
I can help you with that one, since I am using RTAX88U with merlin firmware and Bell TV service. First thing first there is no bridge mode with Bell modem, instead pppoe pass through is used, which basically allow external router acquire public ip address and avoid NAT directly. What I have done is basically use lan port of Bell modem to wire directly in to wan port of asus router, under wan section of asus router, choose pppoe and then use your username and password given by bell. Regarding TV you run that directly of Bell supplied modem and with reference to Bell services experience, I am on fiber, have a great experience, almost no downtime and as added bonus get low latency compare to cable.
Great. Thanks! I'll negotiate with Bell. I'll circle back with you after that, if OK.

I've heard that you need to disable the wifi on the hub4000 each time it is restarted. Is this true? Assuming you are using the 4000 and not the 3000. I ask as Ma Bell is currently doing the poleline work here for fibre and am wondering if I need to insist on a hub3000 so I replace with a media converter.

I've heard that you need to disable the wifi on the hub4000 each time it is restarted. Is this true? Assuming you are using the 4000 and not the 3000. I ask as Ma Bell is currently doing the poleline work here for fibre and am wondering if I need to insist on a hub3000 so I replace with a media converter.
No, once you disable wifi it will remain disabled even after restart. Also all new modem from bell is Gigahub which is very similar to HH4000. Only exception is 5GHZ TV band, other than that no problem, even TV one can change to minimize impact on primary WiFi.

What speed profile you have in mind, when fiber comes to you premises?

No, once you disable wifi it will remain disabled even after restart. Also all new modem from bell is Gigahub which is very similar to HH4000. Only exception is 5GHZ TV band, other than that no problem, even TV one can change to minimize impact on primary WiFi.

What speed profile you have in mind, when fiber comes to you premises?

Looking for something along the line of 150/150. We have a 80/40 service now (private guy who had enough knowledge and recourses to setup a microwave link between our little hamlet and Sudbury, the distribute to our 150 or so houses via 5g radio). We get along just fine on the 80 down with a family of three - all streaming. The gent was a game changer for us in town. Before his efforts, all we had was cellular data.

I do have a Nextcloud server for the family and extended family (used to backup phones/tablets - break away from google) and I also host a website at home for a church group. Even with that 80, it has been fine. Only downside is I am behind a CGNAT. We scrapped the satellite TV a while ago. Just found we never used it.

I am looking to move over to Fibe mostly for a public IP. Right now, I am using Oracle FreeTier service for a relay service for my web hosting (wg site to site to Oracle). It works. It is free. So is Cloudflare tunnels - if I needed them. But, they are third parties and could change their minds at a moments notice. Having a public IP would be great.

Glad to hear about the GigaHub. Still annoying that these ISP still think they know what is best for the customer, but it is a step up from the 4000 (which switch from a spf to a gpon connecter with the network ID chip in the 4000 instead of in the spf connector, so you could not use a media converter).

Thanks for the info.

I too am on Bell Fibe internet. When they installed they brought fiber cable right to the house. They recently upgraded me to from 150 to 500. I have had no issues. SImilar to above, I needed lan to wan (bell to AC5300) and pppoe setup on my Asus ac5300. TVs remained connected to Bell hub.

Canadians represent!
I'm interested in watching what happens with Videotron outside of Quebec now...I suspect a whole big bunch of Dark Fibre is going to get lit up and they'll all be tripping over themselves to give us what amounts to Google Fibre...but, again: Canada.

After configuring PPoE passthrough, you'll see two WAN IPs under Internet Status: the first one your public IP and the second one the Home Hub's IP. It seems to work, but if it bothers you as it bothered me, uncheck Enable VPN + DHCP Connection under the WAN settings. Then you will lose access to the Home Hub GUI, but you can have it back creating this wan-event script:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ]; then
  ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname) 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
fi

You'll need to change the above 192.168.2.2 address if your HH is in a different subnet.

After configuring PPoE passthrough, you'll see two WAN IPs under Internet Status: the first one your public IP and the second one the Home Hub's IP. It seems to work, but if it bothers you as it bothered me, uncheck Enable VPN + DHCP Connection under the WAN settings. Then you will lose access to the Home Hub GUI, but you can have it back creating this wan-event script:

Bash:
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "0" ] && [ "$2" = "connected" ]; then
  ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname) 192.168.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
fi

You'll need to change the above 192.168.2.2 address if your HH is in a different subnet.

Thanks. Have some time. Ma Bell's contractors are just replacing poles now (in 4 feet of snow!). They are doing the prep work at poles with Hydro, but Hydro One will need to do the actual pole work. All in all, talking to the one bell dude, probably year end or early 2024 before anything gets turned on...... Bummer

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!