What's new

Configuring Surfshark VPN with Nighthawk X4S R7800 router running Voxel 1.0.2.90.SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StanTek

New Around Here
Even though I'm very Tech savvy, I'm new to configuring a VPN router. I subscribed to Surfshark's VPN and I enabled VPN on my router but how do I configure Surfshark's settings in OpenVPN? I have the client installed on my laptop and it's partially configured. I have Dynamic DNS working and configured as well. Can someone please help? Thanks.

Attachments

• Router.JPG
    Router.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Router2.JPG
    Router2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
To be honest, I don't use Voxel. Never have. But just looking at that webpage for Voxel, that appears to be for the purposes of configuring YOUR OWN OpenVPN server (for remote access back to your home network), which you can then access from a laptop, smartphone, etc., w/ an OpenVPN client. This has NOTHING to do w/ Surfshark, which is an OpenVPN server being offered by that provider, and to which you can connect either your laptop, smartphone, etc., w/ an OpenVPN client (or perhaps even the router provided it supports an OpenVPN client), usually for the purposes of securing your outbound traffic to the internet (at least to the point of that server).

IOW, it's unclear what your intentions are here. You're describing two different scenarios, one where YOU are providing the OpenVPN server, the other where someone else is providing an OpenVPN server.

Welcome to SNB!

So you have a subscription for VPN service from Surfshark.
Then you need to activate the OpenVPN Client in the Voxel Firmware.
There is no GUI/web-page for that in the Voxel Firmware.
You can follow the advice of @eibgrad and read Voxel's readme, and/or :

The Kamoj addon has support for Surfshark!
You then also get all kind of other features like kill-switch, faster VPN,
Surfshark servers sorted on ping time, VPN bypassing and much more.

You may want to join the kamoj addon beta testing to get access and try it out.
Browse this forum to find more details.

(Your attached picture shows settings from the Netgear GUI for OpenVPN Server and must be deactivated to run the Client.)
kamoj-addon-openvpn.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to SNB!

So you have a subscription for VPN service from Surfshark.
Then you need to activate the OpenVPN Client in the Voxel Firmware.
There is no GUI/web-page for that in the Voxel Firmware.
You can follow the advice of @eibgrad and read Voxel's readme, and/or :

The Kamoj addon has support for Surfshark!
You then also get all kind of other features like kill-switch, faster VPN,
Surfshark servers sorted on ping time, VPN bypassing and much more.

You may want to join the kamoj addon beta testing to get access and try it out.
Browse this forum to find more details.

(Your attached picture shows settings from the Netgear GUI for OpenVPN Server and must be deactivated to run the Client.)
View attachment 38884

Thanks for the response. I was not aware of this addon for Voxel's firmware. I'm very much interested in testing this addon.

To be honest, I don't use Voxel. Never have. But just looking at that webpage for Voxel, that appears to be for the purposes of configuring YOUR OWN OpenVPN server (for remote access back to your home network), which you can then access from a laptop, smartphone, etc., w/ an OpenVPN client. This has NOTHING to do w/ Surfshark, which is an OpenVPN server being offered by that provider, and to which you can connect either your laptop, smartphone, etc., w/ an OpenVPN client (or perhaps even the router provided it supports an OpenVPN client), usually for the purposes of securing your outbound traffic to the internet (at least to the point of that server).

IOW, it's unclear what your intentions are here. You're describing two different scenarios, one where YOU are providing the OpenVPN server, the other where someone else is providing an OpenVPN server.
I figured it out. I ended up using telnet to install the Kamoj addon.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!