What's new

Confusing upload speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R G G

Regular Contributor
Router: ASUS RT-AC1750 B1 (using AC68U latest stable)

I'm going to acknowledge upfront that I'm really not sure whether or not this has anything to do with Merlin and/or the router itself. However, there are signs that lead me to believe it might.

TLDR: Upload capped at 5-10 Mbps for specific apps & OS' but goes up to 50 Mbps (what I pay for) - on others.

I've had this problem for a long time, and I've kind of given up on solving it for good. There are numerous scenarios under which this problem varies, so excuse me if I haven't listed them all, but please ask.

Windows PC (CAT5E)
- On apps such as discord, google sync, and really any other mainstream service, my upload is capped at 10 Mbps max.
- On google photos, the speed seems fine, but still not the full 50. Probably 35ish.
- On speedtest.net, local servers give me full upload but foreign servers don't.
- On nperf speed test, all servers give me full upload.

Windows ZenBook (5Ghz)
- Full speed

Linux Ubuntu 19.10 (CAT5E) <--- same PC as Windows above
- Full speed

iOS iPhone X (5/2.4Ghz)
- Full speed

Caveat: connecting the Windows PC through ANOTHER router seems to actually improve the upload speeds across the board?!?! (Huawei Honor cube router)

I've tried all the usual driver reinstalls. I even purchased a PCIe network adapter but to no avail.

Unless there's some other data points it's difficult to conclude anything other than this being a problem with Windows software/configuration on that one PC. From what you've posted every other device is getting full speed. Even the Windows PC is getting full speed when running Linux which rules out a hardware issue.

Unless there's some other data points it's difficult to conclude anything other than this being a problem with Windows software/configuration on that one PC. From what you've posted every other device is getting full speed. Even the Windows PC is getting full speed when running Linux which rules out a hardware issue.

I'm happy to accept it as an issue with Windows, but I've formatted countless times, and the ZenBook is also on Windows. Besides that, the fact that I get full upload on SOME services and not others confuses me to no end.

I'm happy to accept it as an issue with Windows, but I've formatted countless times, and the ZenBook is also on Windows. Besides that, the fact that I get full upload on SOME services and not others confuses me to no end.
The first thing I usually point the finger at is the anti-virus software. Disable that, reboot and test again.

The first thing I usually point the finger at is the anti-virus software. Disable that, reboot and test again.

Doubt it has anything to do with antivirus. Other than Windows defender, I don't have anything else. Firewall is off.

Catch this insanity:

UBYrvSB.png
sFUcImQ.png

Both were taken on the same Windows PC, on the same server host.

Upload speeds also depend on the capabilities and restrictions/load balancing and other users traffic (now higher) of the servers you are uploading to. Not a good test of your 'paid for speeds', even if some other devices show 'better'.

What does www.fast.com give you? What does testing with a different brand Ethernet cable show? Are you able to connect to another LAN port on the router to test too? Your Ethernet cable connector may be weak or the specific port may be too 'loose' with the Ethernet cable you are plugging in.

Disabling A/V software isn't enough in my experience, you need to fully uninstall it to properly test if it was affecting anything.

Any other security software running on the PC? Hopefully, you are not running multiple A/V software concurrently (or a specific/additional Firewall software either). What CPU, RAM and HDD does it have and what software does it usually run? Are you using a USB to fully set it up on the latest Windows 10 version, or, are you just doing a 'reset' from within Windows?

Why is the Firewall disabled? Seems like you are not using a stock Windows 10 install?

Upload speeds also depend on the capabilities and restrictions/load balancing and other users traffic (now higher) of the servers you are uploading to. Not a good test of your 'paid for speeds', even if some other devices show 'better'.

What does www.fast.com give you? What does testing with a different brand Ethernet cable show? Are you able to connect to another LAN port on the router to test too? Your Ethernet cable connector may be weak or the specific port may be too 'loose' with the Ethernet cable you are plugging in.

Disabling A/V software isn't enough in my experience, you need to fully uninstall it to properly test if it was affecting anything.

Any other security software running on the PC? Hopefully, you are not running multiple A/V software concurrently (or a specific/additional Firewall software either). What CPU, RAM and HDD does it have and what software does it usually run? Are you using a USB to fully set it up on the latest Windows 10 version, or, are you just doing a 'reset' from within Windows?

Why is the Firewall disabled? Seems like you are not using a stock Windows 10 install?

WbK5AYK.png

What does testing with a different brand Ethernet cable show?:
I've tried several cables and even borrowed 2 CAT6 cables (modem -> router -> PC). They all give the same upload speeds.

Are you able to connect to another LAN port on the router to test too? Your Ethernet cable connector may be weak or the specific port may be too 'loose' with the Ethernet cable you are plugging in:

This is interesting. Yes, I have. By the looks of it, using different ports on the router DOES have an effect, but it's really hard to explain. Basically though, sometimes I find that when I connect my TV to the router on LAN 1 and my PC on LAN 2, One of the devices ends up getting crazy buffer bloat and often even lowered download speeds. But I can always fix that by switching the LAN arrangement around and it's not a real issue, but I'm not sure if it is related to my low uploads, especially given that I haven't experienced low uploads on wifi.

Any other security software running on the PC?:
No

What CPU, RAM and HDD does it have and what software does it usually run? Are you using a USB to fully set it up on the latest Windows 10 version, or, are you just doing a 'reset' from within Windows?:

Ryzen 1600 @3.8Ghz, 16GB Corsair vengeance, Samsung 850 Evo, Windows install was done by USB and is a genuine copy.

Why is the Firewall disabled? Seems like you are not using a stock Windows 10 install?:

You can disable firewall in settings under Firewall & network protection.

Catch this insanity:

Both were taken on the same Windows PC, on the same server host.
It's difficult to guess how the different sites are doing their tests. For example, using speedtest.net but switching between single and multi-threaded tests produces significantly different results:

9233785884.png
9233795917.png

That said it looks like you're using multi-threaded which should be fast.

Is there any other upload activity on the network that could be interfering with things? Look at the router's Traffic Analyzer > Traffic Monitor.

What does testing with a different brand Ethernet cable show?

It may show up physical incompatibilities from one brand to the next vs. your actual LAN Port(s).

Basically though, sometimes I find that when I connect my TV to the router on LAN 1 and my PC on LAN 2, One of the devices ends up getting crazy buffer bloat and often even lowered download speeds. But I can always fix that by switching the LAN arrangement around and it's not a real issue...

That seems like an issue to me? :) This is not normal or expected behavior.

You can disable firewall in settings under Firewall & network protection.

Yes, this I do know. I was basically asking why and what other settings you change that you consider normal?

Also, what firmware are you running and what features and scripts are you using there?

It's difficult to guess how the different sites are doing their tests. For example, using speedtest.net but switching between single and multi-threaded tests produces significantly different results:

9233785884.png
9233795917.png

That said it looks like you're using multi-threaded which should be fast.

Is there any other upload activity on the network that could be interfering with things? Look at the router's Traffic Analyzer > Traffic Monitor.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's not a newly-developed problem, I've had it for a while now. So I have a very good understanding of it I believe.

Yes, the speed test is multithreaded.

Heres the difference between multi threaded and single threaded:

n2scwV9.png

hFMppTp.png

That seems like an issue to me? :) This is not normal or expected behavior.

I've tried occupying just 1 LAN port and using CAT6, upload wasn't fixed. I'm certain it's not the router. I used to have symmetrical gigabit 2 years ago and it handled that just fine. Unless something's happened to it since.

Yes, this I do know. I was basically asking why and what other settings you change that you consider normal?

Not that I recall, and certainly none related to networking. But I've tried testing right after a fresh install. Same results.

Also, what firmware are you running and what features and scripts are you using there?

Just using VPN specifically for TV and that's it. No scripts.

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults, after flashing the latest firmware at that time? I assume you did so when flashing RMerlin from stock, correct? When/which firmware was that?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults, after flashing the latest firmware at that time? I assume you did so when flashing RMerlin from stock, correct? When/which firmware was that?

I just did a factory reset & updated to newest Merlin firmware today actually. 384.13 was the last firmware I had, now on latest stable version.

Flashed firmware first and factory reset after, correct? Including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox?

Is the TV the only thing configured to go through the VPN? Or is the whole network funneled through that too?

UPDATE:

I found the problem, now I just need a solution.

@ColinTaylor, your hunch was right, it seems like it's gotta do with simultaneous connections.

---Fast.com results---
Parallel connections: 1
Down: 20
Up: 1.5
Parallel connections: 15
Down: 50
Up: 14
Parallel connections: 30 (max)
Down 50
Up 33

Now, why is this only happening on windows? Why is it happening only on international servers? And more importantly, how the hell can I fix it :rolleyes:

Including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox?

Is the TV the only thing configured to go through the VPN? Or is the whole network funneled through that too?

No, I did not check initialize all settings, but I did that last month when I was playing around with installing OpenWRT. So if that was the problem it would've fixed it.

Yes, only TV.

Last month is 30 days too long ago. :)

What has happened in between?

The reset/initialize is important to do together, after the firmware you want is first flashed to the router. Afterward, one more round of flashing and reset/initialize won't hurt either and has helped many get their routers stable again.

Your router is obviously not performing as expected. I am guessing it needs a full and proper reset/initialize. And possibly, not just of the router, but also the client device(s) too.

This is interesting. Yes, I have. By the looks of it, using different ports on the router DOES have an effect, but it's really hard to explain. Basically though, sometimes I find that when I connect my TV to the router on LAN 1 and my PC on LAN 2, One of the devices ends up getting crazy buffer bloat and often even lowered download speeds. But I can always fix that by switching the LAN arrangement around and it's not a real issue, but I'm not sure if it is related to my low uploads, especially given that I haven't experienced low uploads on wifi.
It's possible that the TV or something else on your network is flooding your LAN with broadcast/multicast traffic.

I suggest that you power off and disconnect every device on your network, including WiFi devices, apart from your Windows PC with its Ethernet connection. Then perform the speed tests again, trying different LAN sockets on the router if necessary.