What's new

Connect aimesh node to non asus router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marcevm

New Around Here
Hello. I have a main router without wifi, not asus.
An asus rt58u router configured as an access point and a second non-asus AP, both wired to the main router.

I was thinking of changing the second AP for another rt58u to work as a mesh, which should be configured in node mode.

I observed on the asus website that the node should connect to the other asus router, but I would connect both of them to the main router. Will the mesh still work?

I am interested more than anything in fast roaming and that each cell phone connects to the AP with more power, since it does not currently disconnect from the farthest one, sometimes having 80Mbps instead of 400 as it would achieve with the closest one.

The question is before buying a second asus router rt58u. If it doesn't work, there's no point in changing.
I'm using a translator, sorry for that.

Thanks

but I would connect both of them to the main router

If the main router is not very fancy and has common switch for the LAN ports - yes.

I am interested more than anything in fast roaming

This is not going to happen. AiMesh in AP Mode won't help you. AiMesh is a merketing name for wired access points or wireless repeaters. Two identical routers/APs may improve the situation a bit though.

If the main router is not very fancy and has common switch for the LAN ports - yes.

Thanks for your answer.
I have an er-x edgerouter that I like as the main one, it has a switch with the LAN ports. (I am already using it like this, but with 1 asus ap and 1 tplink ap, good signal at home, but with different ssid)

This is not going to happen. AiMesh in AP Mode won't help you. AiMesh is a merketing name for wired access points or wireless repeaters. Two identical routers/APs may improve the situation a bit though.

I read that some domestic products like Deco from tplink do fast roaming, I thought that these routers were better than those models and with more options to work well.

I understand that it would be little useful to buy then.

Not really fast. It will still break VoIP/Video calls on AP switch.

Yeah ... if video calls are your use-case then you might not get satisfactory results from anything. But certainly some gear is better at this than other gear. Start by reading What Are Sticky Clients? --- it's an old thread but I think the info is all still good. Then your next question should be which AP combos have good implementations of the 802.11k/v/r standards, and whether your clients work well with those.

Although those are supposedly common standards, the impression I have is that you are way more likely to get good results if your APs are all from the same manufacturer and running the same firmware. Then you have a shot at their combined roaming-support behavior having been carefully tuned. If you use a mishmash of gear, the best-case outcome is likely to be that it kinda sorta works.

Thank you very much.

At first she thought that aimesh served to greatly improve roaming, as something more automatic.

I can and I know how to do it, to remove a little power in one of the routers so that when I am next to the other it disconnects, but sometimes I liked that the signal reaches strong also outside the house (I live on a 4th floor and I usually have a sign on the street)

So the question is, is it worth putting another asus? will a pair of asus rt58u or a pair of tplink deco x60 be better? always in AP mode.

For Tech9: having the same ssid is worse, because I'm next to one ap and my cell stays connected to the other with 80-117Mbps instead of 866. With different SSIDs at least I can switch manually.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!