What's new

Connect wireless to a NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
Wanting to know,
We are setting up two apple imacs in one room, the room next door which has the phone connection will have an apple airport extreme with a Lacie 2Big NAS, Canon wide Format printer and photocopier connected to the airport extreme by ethernet.
Currently we had a setup with a IBM server over gigabyte network, we do graphic design and web design work. I was wanting to know with our new wireless network we are planning with the airport extreme, will we notice any loss in speed over a wireless network opening up illustrator and photoshop files and using the internet.

Do you have draft 11n client adapters on your computers?
How fast is your Internet connection?
Was your Ethernet connection 10/100 or Gigabit?

Not sure what 11n Client adapters are but our old PC's had gigbit network cards installed, these have been replaced with 2009 version Apple iMacs.
Our Ethernet connection was gigabit, which we use to use a Dlink gds 1016D gigabit switch on our network.
Our internet connection is ADSL2+.
Will an airport extreme with iMacs, be faster that wireless on a PC?
And I'm not sure, but I should be able to see the Lacie NAS over the network which is connected via the airport exteme?

Thanks
Marshall

Last edited:
Wireless local traffic (non-Internet) will be slower than you experienced with your gigabit Ethernet connection.

I would have to know your Internet down and upload speeds to say for sure. But you probably won't detect a difference in Internet speed.

Your wireless clients should be able to communicate with any wired device.

Thank you thiggins, for your help.
Our Adobe files are never really that big, mostly never bigger than 60Mb, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to open a Adobe file from a wireless NAS. The other other program in the Adobe suite that needs a fast network connect is the Adobe bridge for searching for files.

Kind Regards
Marshall

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!