What's new

Looking for advice on a whole home wireless/networking environment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bullitt72

New Around Here
Hi, this is my first post to SNBForums, and its very nice to be here. (if this is posted in the wrong area I apologize) After reading many posts, this seems like a very helpful community, so I have joined to find a little advice as I am trying to develop a networking solution for our home.

To begin with I would consider my knowledge novice but learning but if I had to describe what I would ideally like to have setup, it would entail a place to keep our backups (time machine in our case), a large capacity for photos of the family, like a shared iPhoto etc. As well a place to house all of our music/movies that can be accessible to our devices/tvs through Plex, iTunes or similar. I would prefer a faster connection than I had experienced years back, when we owned a very slow MyBook World, for this purpose, (but I could never get it up and running the way we wanted.) Also the ability to access outside of our network if we need to.

At the moment I have a lot of parts/ideas and not a lot of know how. I have recently set up an Ubuntu home server on an old Windows 8 machine for some of our smart devices, running Home assistant (following guides and a lot of trial and error). Also a installed a Plex server on the machine, accessible outside the network as is HA. No media present in the Plex server yet as I haven't found a way to get my media recognized there yet. (ha). I did make shared folder, and files are uploading at over 100MB/sec to the server, so the speed is good. We mostly have Apple devices (classic 6 core Mac Pro tower, MacBook pro laptops, iPhones iPads). smart devices (lights switches, thermostats ) and game devices nintendo, ps4.

Internet is gigabit fiber, and the wireless router is a TP-Link Archer C9, perhaps to be replaced by an ASUS RT-AC3100 if I can decide if it a makes real world difference in our home with 20+ devices over half of which are wireless. (Harmony, Nest, smartphones, laptops). In our three level home, connectivity and range seems fairly even, with a bit of a nod going to the ASUS. Considering the ASUS, it has more features, (parental controls, McAfee intrusion detection) but will those be rendered moot with a correctly configured server? (money better spent somewhere else?) Lots of questions and no idea how to start.. buy drives and a Synology NAS for example? Configure my Mac Pro as the Server, buy another MyBook network device? Considering routers, keeping the TP-Link or return the ASUS? or vice versa.

Anyhow this is a long post just too say hello, but I would really like some advice where to go from here. Thank you to anyone in advance who can get me started on the right track.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!