What's new

Connected at 450Mbps, back to 300!?? N dual-band router question...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crunch

New Around Here
Hey guys! I'm hoping you could help explain something to me. :)

I have the Linksys WRT610N with the May firmware upgrade, along with the Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN internal card. Is there any way for me to be able to connect to both the 2.4GHz, *and* the 5GHz frequencies for even higher speeds? Such as the 600Mbps that the 802.11n standard is supposed to be able to reach!?

What WiFi equipment do you guys have/recommend, by the way? I usually go for Linksys products, but D-Link, and Netgear are just as good, according to my friends. I love Atheros chipsets in my equipment. That's the gold standard as far as my research leads me to believe.

Also, if not 600Mbps, what about 450? I can actually prove that one of my routers connected at 450Mbps, and isn't it true that we're supposed to be able to get 600Mbps connections once 802.11n was ratified by the IEEE? Eventually anyway?

I'd love to know what these "small" changes are, and why it took them *seven* years to put this baby to bed, only to just put a their stamp of approval on it?

Thanks very much!! :)

I have the Linksys WRT610N with the May firmware upgrade, along with the Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN internal card. Is there any way for me to be able to connect to both the 2.4GHz, *and* the 5GHz frequencies for even higher speeds? Such as the 600Mbps that the 802.11n standard is supposed to be able to reach!?
There are no concurrent (two-radio) client cards.

You need router and client that support three-stream (not three antennas) N to get maximum 450 Mbps link rate and four-stream to get 600Mbps link rate. Usable throughput will be at best half those link rate #s.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!