What's new

Connected Devices List Bug?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ragnarok

New Around Here
For some reason, after I have wireless clients disconnect from the router, those same clients are listed as currently connected WIRED connections.

I don't know why the router interface is reporting that those devices are connected if they are clearly disconnected. I also don't know why it's being labeled as a WIRED device when it was clearly a wireless device.

Anyone else having this kind of issue?

I suspect that instead of removing a device from the list upon a wireless disconnection, the router defaults its status to a wired connection instead.

Well .......... certainly doesn't happen on my router.

What router are you using, what firmware?

I run the same router and firmware and have never seen this behaviour.

GUI oddities are often resolved with a reboot.
Before looking any further I would power the router off for 5-10 minutes . Power on and see what happens after that.

I have done those steps countless times before, but it still happens. I'm just as confused as you are.

I even use the android app to check the connected devices and it shows the same. Although, its probably just relaying what the router sees.

I dont think the issue happens right away after each reboot. It's just after a while, wireless that disconnect for an extended period suddenly come back on the list as connected and wired.

The clients are not jumping onto another access point which is hardwired to your main router are they, if so this is why.

Same thing happens to me. On a Monday morning the Android app will show all the devices that were connected to my network over the weekend. If I pull up the GUI on my computer it will show all the devices and then after a few seconds it refreshes itself and only shows the current connected devices. After this refresh the Android app shows the updated list. I've had this behavior with multiple versions of the firmware.

Same thing happens to me. On a Monday morning the Android app will show all the devices that were connected to my network over the weekend. If I pull up the GUI on my computer it will show all the devices and then after a few seconds it refreshes itself and only shows the current connected devices. After this refresh the Android app shows the updated list. I've had this behavior with multiple versions of the firmware.

That is normal behaviour and is not what the OP has posted about. His problem is that Wireless clients that have been disconnected are shown as active WIRED clients and that is when they are now switched on.

For some reason, after I have wireless clients disconnect from the router, those same clients are listed as currently connected WIRED connections.

I don't know why the router interface is reporting that those devices are connected if they are clearly disconnected. I also don't know why it's being labeled as a WIRED device when it was clearly a wireless device.

Anyone else having this kind of issue?

I suspect that instead of removing a device from the list upon a wireless disconnection, the router defaults its status to a wired connection instead.
My router lists ALL connections as wired even when I know they are wireless (my phone for instance). Nothing shows up on the 2.4 or 5 lists at all. I've never tried to troubleshoot it but it has always annoyed me.

I posted a comment on the android app and got a response that Asus found the root cause of the issue and will be correcting it on the firmware side. Unfortunately, they didn't give any ETA on when it would be fixed. Even if it was fixed on the official firmware, I assume it would take some time for the Merlin version to be released as well.

I posted a comment on the android app and got a response that Asus found the root cause of the issue and will be correcting it on the firmware side. Unfortunately, they didn't give any ETA on when it would be fixed. Even if it was fixed on the official firmware, I assume it would take some time for the Merlin version to be released as well.

Who commented, Asus? Or (just) another poster? Any links to the official reply (if any)?

Who commented, Asus? Or (just) another poster? Any links to the official reply (if any)?

Well, on the Google Play Store, there is an App called "ASUS Router". Under that app page, there is a place where you can rate the app, as well as write comments about it. I decided to give it fewer stars and explained the bugs I was getting. Sometimes, an app developer would respond to your comment, and that's basically what happened.

At first, they asked me to check my router to see if the device connected list showed the same mislabels. I checked the router web UI and confirmed it was, so I updated my comment.

Later, they updated their response as well with slightly incorrect English "We just find the root cause of this issue, and it will be fixed in the firmware side. Thanks for your testing, it really helps us a lot." So, I interpreted that message as, they found the reason for the issue and will release a new firmware update that corrects that in the future, but the android app itself would stay the same since the problem isn't caused from the android app side.

I see the same thing with my 3200, but it doesn't happen the same way every day. Sometimes it goes away for days and then will return again. My theory is that it is connected to DHCP leases and active leases will continue to show as connected devices even though they are not actually active on the network. When no longer connected to one of the wireless networks, they transition to the "wired" section.

I see the same thing with my 3200, but it doesn't happen the same way every day. Sometimes it goes away for days and then will return again. My theory is that it is connected to DHCP leases and active leases will continue to show as connected devices even though they are not actually active on the network. When no longer connected to one of the wireless networks, they transition to the "wired" section.

I would have thought the same thing. But the problem with that theory is, if the router just forgets to remove it off the connected list, then nothing should change right? So, if I have a connected laptop with wireless 5G, and then I turn it off, it should still show the laptop connected as 5G and NOT switch it to a wired LAN icon. It's clear that the router knows there is a change in the state of the connection. But, having the connected wireless device turn into a LAN one doesn't make sense. Almost just sounds like some coders mixed the icon variables around between wired and disconnected.

same thing happens to me since 380.3xxx based firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!