What's new

Connecting by VPN to my RT-AC88U gives me access to primary and guest network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Magnus_SL

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have looked around for confirmation to my two questions but ended up short.

1) I have setup my router with a primary wifi as well as a guest wifi.
2) When I connect my pc to either wifi I cannot ping the other (which I expected/wanted)
3) However when I login to my router via VPN (openVPN) I can ping devices no matter which network they are on.

My 1st question: Is it supposed to be as per point 3? That I can access all devices no matter their network when connected by VPN but not otherwise? (security aware topic for me)

If yes, it makes it easier to connect my wireless IoT to my guest wifi network and access them via VPN if I need to access their settings from time to time. In that way the IoT stuff cannot access my primary net/devices.

My second question, to which I found no answer either. Can the RT-AC88U in any way be setup to give me two VLANS without any further hardware? I've looked into the IPTV settings but cannot understand how those settings in any way would let me configure a vlan with a different subnet for clients wired to my router. Reason for question is that I would like to separate also a few wired clients from my primary network.

It is an Asus RT-AC88U running stock (latest) firmware. I would prefer to stick with stock fw vs others.

Any help on these matters would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!
/Magnus

In answer to your second question, the router doesn't support VLANs at all other than for IPTV which is a specific use case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!