What's new

Connecting fiber TV using AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

linardi88

Occasional Visitor
I’m currently using a coaxial cable connection, but I’m planning to switch that to a fiber connection. I use a RT-AC86U as my router, and I plan to buy another one for AiMesh.

The fiber line out is in my living room, and the STB for the fiber TV will be in my bedroom. The STB uses an Ethernet cable to connect from the fiber router provided by my new provider.

Question is, can I connect the STB and the fiber router using AiMesh? The setup will probably look like this :
Fiber router —> RT-AC86U in living room———————> RT-AC86U in bedroom —> TV STB
Note : —> = connected using ethernet cable

If it won’t work, I think I’ll scrap the AiMesh idea and just buy a Powerline set.

I’m currently using a coaxial cable connection, but I’m planning to switch that to a fiber connection. I use a RT-AC86U as my router, and I plan to buy another one for AiMesh.

The fiber line out is in my living room, and the STB for the fiber TV will be in my bedroom. The STB uses an Ethernet cable to connect from the fiber router provided by my new provider.

Question is, can I connect the STB and the fiber router using AiMesh? The setup will probably look like this :
Fiber router —> RT-AC86U in living room———————> RT-AC86U in bedroom —> TV STB
Note : —> = connected using ethernet cable

If it won’t work, I think I’ll scrap the AiMesh idea and just buy a Powerline set.

If the STB works on the one AC86U, it should work on the second AC86U which is just an extension of the data network.

OE

Last edited:
It isn't clear if the node will be wired or wireless backhaul. If wireless, you might have throughput issues due to signal strength. You will definitely not get the full fiber bandwidth (presumably 500Mb or 1 Gb). I used powerline adapters for years with adequate results. But when I upgraded to fiber (1Gb up&dn) I changed to MoCA and can get the same bandwidth in my home entertainment system at the opposite end of my home. It was at the fringe of my wireless range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!