What's new

Connecting one Asus router to another Asus router, what subnet mask and default gateway should I use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netwdad

New Around Here
Hi all - so I have both routers connected and working fine.

However, I would like to assign a static IP to my wireless router which is currently running in Access Point mode.

When I go into the LAN settings, I can assign the static IP there. However, I lose modem access because I think there is something conflicting with the subnet or default gateway.

ROUTER 1 connected to the internet:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

ROUTER 2 connected to router 1 via ethernet and acting as a wireless access point:
IP: 192.168.1.3 (this is what I would like to assign it to vs picking up a random DHCP IP)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (this is what its set to be default, does this need to change given ROUTER 1?)
Default gateway: 192.168.1.2 (again, this is the default, but something is conflicting, so do I need to change this?)

TLDR: please let me know what my subnet and default gateway settings should be on ROUTER 2? Thanks!!!

Hi all - so I have both routers connected and working fine.

However, I would like to assign a static IP to my wireless router which is currently running in Access Point mode.

When I go into the LAN settings, I can assign the static IP there. However, I lose modem access because I think there is something conflicting with the subnet or default gateway.

ROUTER 1 connected to the internet:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

ROUTER 2 connected to router 1 via ethernet and acting as a wireless access point:
IP: 192.168.1.3 (this is what I would like to assign it to vs picking up a random DHCP IP)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (this is what its set to be default, does this need to change given ROUTER 1?)
Default gateway: 192.168.1.2 (again, this is the default, but something is conflicting, so do I need to change this?)

TLDR: please let me know what my subnet and default gateway settings should be on ROUTER 2? Thanks!!!
Default gateway is the first router. Same subnet. let the first router do DNS and dhcp. Turn that off on the second router. YOu can connect them via lan port. Wan -router one -lan - Router two

What model routers are you using?
What firmware versions are they running?

You subnet mask is fine.

Is there a reason your router is 192.168.1.2 rather than the more normal 192.168.1.1?

What IP address is your modem?