What's new

Connecting two routers — Trying to find the best way

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moontan

New Around Here
Hi everyone, this is my first post ever here. Hope the answers will be helpful to other users, too …

I'm trying to connect two RT-N14UHP routers with the newest firmware and I'm not sure if what I intend to do is possible and if my approach makes any sense: I want both routers to transceive the same WiFi signal (WDS style: Same SSID, same channel; Main signal + additional guest network) with the same DHCP and at the same time have them connected via ethernet cable for faster communication between the two.

Unfortunately, all of the guides I find online mention configuring the [Bridge] section in the [Wireless] settings, but the recently updated firmware (3.0.0.4_380_8287) only features a [WDS] section. I am uncertain to what extent they are equivalent and none of the online info seems to explain the functionalities of the different AP settings [AP only/WDS only/Hybrid].

I connected both routers via cable and set both to [Hybrid] setting the SSID and channel to identical values, too. Turned off DHCP on the router 2 that's supposed to repeat the signal of router 1. But still, devices trying to connect to the WiFi take ages to establish the connection and once they do they don't get a ping on anything in the WAN.

Where am I going wrong? Do I need to add static routes? What would those look like?

Thank you!!

Edit: I added a static route and the main network seems to work fine but the guest network still has the same issues.

Last edited:
I want both routers to transceive the same WiFi signal (WDS style: Same SSID, same channel; Main signal + additional guest network) with the same DHCP and at the same time have them connected via ethernet cable for faster communication between the two.

Or can the second router only extend one of the two WiFi SSIDs?

and at the same time have them connected via ethernet cable for faster communication between the two.
The Wireless/Bridge (or WDS) will not do this as it "allows your router to connect to an access point wirelessly". If you want to connect them via Ethernet cable you are describing an access point. The problem with access point mode is that it can't isolate its guest SSID from the rest of your LAN.

If you need more functionality on the second router beyond what an AP offers then you will need to double NAT the second router behind the first. While you can use the same SSIDs and passwords on both routers but regardless if you go the AP or double NAT route you need to use different radio channels on each router to avoid interference.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!