What's new

Connection Issue with Merlin on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billychode

New Around Here
Just want to post a quick question and see if anyone might have a suggestion for me. On my RT-AX88U, running both Merlin and Stock, I cannot get a stable connection on my Samsung S21 Ultra (US version). Thinking it might be the phone, I switched back to my FiOS G-3100 with no settings touched. The phone has no issues with this router, so I am not sure if there's a setting I can try to adjust to allow the router and phone to get along better. I am constantly turning the WIFI on the phone on and off, which is a temporary fix. The message on the phone is the " Connected. No Internet" prompt. Again, without posting screenshots and any other info, I wanted to see if there's something I might need to change.

Welcome to the forums @billychode.

What features, options and scripts do you enable on the router, past the defaults?

What method do you use when going between stock and RMerlin firmware? Are you using a saved backup config file to configure the router? What firmware version(s) are we looking at?

After flashing RMerlin from stock, you should ideally do a full reset and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. Same when going from RMerlin to stock firmware too.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

The following may also help too.

Almost all L&LD Links

Test by using a new Guest Network and a new (never before used) SSID.

You can also try resetting the phone's network stack to defaults too.

I have both the same router and phone. I have 1.2gig connection to the ax88u router. I have not experienced any connection issue with the phone.

I know this sounds odd but try setting the phone to a static IP (assuming that it currently uses DHCP).

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get around to messing with it later. I've tried a few here and there, but I think it's got to start from scratch. @Blacklistedcard I am glad that you are fine with the combo. I tried changing the MAC from Randomized to Phone, as well as Treat Unmetered. Did you need to change either of those settings from their originals? Thanks again @L&LD and @SlaveUnit I will let you know if I run into any issues. Appreciate it!

Thanks for the replies. I am going to get around to messing with it later. I've tried a few here and there, but I think it's got to start from scratch. @Blacklistedcard I am glad that you are fine with the combo. I tried changing the MAC from Randomized to Phone, as well as Treat Unmetered. Did you need to change either of those settings from their originals? Thanks again @L&LD and @SlaveUnit I will let you know if I run into any issues. Appreciate it!
The MAC settings shouldn't affect anything unless you have MAC filtering on. One obviously randomizes it while the other keeps that hardcoded one from the phone itself. The only thing you would need to try is popping in a static ip.

Hey guys, so I ran into a little hitch, and wanted to clarify before going through the whole process. First, should I run Rescue Mode and install the stock f/w before merlin using the app on my Mac while directly connected to the router? Next, the issue I had when trying to reset and bypass the wizard set-up to get to advance settings/back up. I cannot use the url provided to get to the back up page. It keeps forcing me to change the router name and password due to weak security. It is ok to change this, then go on to the step to erase the settings?

As a point of clarification, should I release my IP from FiOS router, then unplug the power to the ONT? The G3100 won’t be in the final setup, as i do not use STB or have a cable package. Thanks again everyone!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!