What's new

Connection to random websites drops randomly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RasmusGlud

New Around Here
Hi all!

I have a weird issue with my Internet and I really hope, I'm able to explain it to you properly (english is not my mother tongue). Here goes: I have a solid wifi connection with my ASUS RT-AC68U router (merlin firmware 378.55), but I'm experiencing random drop outs when browsing websites, but it's not regular "wifi drop outs" where my computer loses the signal. I've only experienced it on the 5 GHz band and, but on all my 5GHz devices (iPhone 6, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro).

Here's how it usually happens
When I do a google search for something and I click on a site in the among the results, my browser (Safari) sometimes (quite often actually) gives me an error that goes something like "the page could not be loaded because Safari can't find the server". But if I go back to my google search results and click another site, it loads properly (and fast too). Going back again and retrying the first site again gives me the same error. See image below (it's danish, but I hope it's helps anyway - sorry).

ping.png

I've tried to ping the site that Safari won't load and it gives me an error too: "unknown host"

ping_2.png

Now here is where I'm losing it: If I remove the "www" part of the adresse in Safari, the page loads just fine. Same happens if I try to ping the site. Bonus: If I wait a minute or two, both adresses loads just fine.

So, what the hell is going on? As said, I've only experienced it on the 5 Ghz band.
I know theres been some issues with ASUS routers and Apple computers, but I've been running on the 5 Ghz band on all my Apple devices for nearly a year without any issues. It just suddenly started.

Really hope you can help me out here :)

DNS problems. Switch to Google's DNS?

I think the isolation to the 5Ghz band is simply coincidence.

Thanks for your input! :) I've just switched to Google's DNS on router level to see if it solves my problem. Fingers crossed!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!