What's new

Connectivity with RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cameron

New Around Here
I'm running into some issues with my Asus RT-AC5300 running a recent build of Merlin:
  • Context
    • Space is a new construction two-story townhouse, ~2,000 sq. ft.
    • There're CAT6 runs in-wall from the networking closet to every room.
    • Modem is a current Comcast Xfinity unit running in Gateway mode.
    • Raspberry Pi running Pihole acts as local DHCP and DNS servers.
  • Internet Connectivity Failure
    • About 2-3 times per month, Internet access drops with a DHCP WAN error showing in the router interface.
    • When it first happened, resetting the router/modem or tinkering with settings had no effect, though it later started working on its own.
    • When it happened most recently, I had Internet access when connected to the modem directly but not when through the router.
    • Not being able to control conditions to test this, I feel like the modem is less than completely reliable but that the router is the larger culprit.
  • Poor Signal Strength
    • Not sure what's inside of these walls, but it feels like I'm living in a slightly defective Faraday cage—
      • Verizon CDMA LTE goes from 16.3 / 3.3 Mbps outside to 0.31 / 0.01 Mbps inside with 2,000ms of jitter
      • Wi-Fi signal strength drops to two-thirds on iPhone 12 just 40 feet from the router with only two interior walls of separation (default TX power)
I had been thinking of upgrading to the GT-AXE11000 but now starting to wonder:
  • Would upgrading by itself improve signal strength?
  • Should I be looking into getting a set of AX6100s for AI Mesh?
  • Is there any sort of Comcast-Asus conflict that would be inherent to both routers?
Overall, I'd be appreciative of thoughts on how I might turn this into a more robust, functional setup.

The RT-AC5300 is effectively obsolete today compared to a GT-AXE11000 level of hardware, particularly in challenging environments like yours.

You may want to try the following on the RT-AC5300 to see if it behaves afterward, otherwise, it most likely indicates hardware issues at that point.

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

The GT-AX6000 is also a consideration over the GT-AXE11000 (more current hardware and also has RMerlin support).

The most anticipated router is the GT-AXE16000, but it is a unicorn today.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!