What's new

Considering Upgrading from AC5300 to AXE16000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wilsonbh

Occasional Visitor
I have an old AC5300 primary router in an AIMESH setup with two AC68U nodes and another AC5300 also as a node. So I have two AC5300 routers with one being the primary. If I changed my primary AC5300 to the AXE16000, will I see a performance increase? Right now, I occasionally get buffering on my 2nd floor 4K television and it drives me nuts every time it happens. I have a large home with 2 floors.

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect the 5300 routers signal are getting weak. I suspect both of the AC5300 routers are this way. One routinely has a -70dB signal strength whereas the AC68U routers have a consistent -40dB. All of these routers have been in continuous operation for over 7 years.

I'm actually considering getting two AXE16000 routers and have the backhaul be the 6E signal. Thoughts?

What are your ISP speeds? What type of connection to your ISP do you have?

If all you want to do is solve the buffering issue, I would fully reset your entire network. If it's been in continuous operation for 7 years without a reset, that may be all you need today.

Of course, the 2x GT-AXE16000s will be a dramatic upgrade for your network. But I would not pair them with any of the hardware you have now. (Except maybe in Media Bridge mode to any wired capable devices you may want to take off the 'regular' wireless traffic in your home).

I'm actually considering getting two AXE16000 routers and have the backhaul be the 6E signal. Thoughts?

Better get 2x GT-AX11000 Pro. They will work the same way and are cheaper. You don't need 6E radio. Remove completely the older RT-AC68Us and try with 2x routers only with better placement. Too many routers and different generation won't make your wireless AiMesh any better, only worse.

Owned AX11k and current have AXE16K + 3x XT12s. WiFi 6e is next to useless, really low range same speed as Wifi6. Don't consider 6e for backhaul, tried is and returned the 6e setup > just marketing crap. If your doing wired backhaul then, 6e is good if your very close to the router. For wireless aimesh then I've tried XT8/9/ET12/XT12s. XT12 is definately the fastest aimesh setup so far. AXE16k>wireless aimesh > XT12. I average 1Gbps from server wire connected to the XT12. AXE16k as router has been solid for me - then again I am stock firmware.

Owned AX11k and current have AXE16K + 3x XT12s. WiFi 6e is next to useless, really low range same speed as Wifi6. Don't consider 6e for backhaul, tried is and returned the 6e setup > just marketing crap. If your doing wired backhaul then, 6e is good if your very close to the router. For wireless aimesh then I've tried XT8/9/ET12/XT12s. XT12 is definately the fastest aimesh setup so far. AXE16k>wireless aimesh > XT12. I average 1Gbps from server wire connected to the XT12. AXE16k as router has been solid for me - then again I am stock firmware.
Can you be more specific as to what "XT12s" are?

ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12. These are WiFi 6, not WiFi 6e routers. There is also ET12 which have 6e instead of the 5.1 band 2. ET12s are good for wired backhaul aimesh. Wireless XT12s are better. Google dongknows - he has good write ups on most of the decent Asus routers.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!