What's new

Constant WAN reconnects every other minute (VERIZON FIOS)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

17kangm

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently had an issue where Verizon support could not solve. My WAN would constantly disconnect and reconnect every other minute, and it's really getting on my nerves. I cannot do anything, from streaming videos, to video games that require simultaneous up/download.
It happens when I am on Ethernet and wireless.

Where I live : FlowerMound TX.
ISP : Verizon FIOS (25/25) plan
Router : VERIZON FIOS Actiontec MI424WR REV I - Gigabit Wireless

Currently tried fixes :
Reset IP by contacting support
Reboot and Reset
And changing the router itself.

Here's the log: (Attached to post)

(If you have any questions I would not be bothered to answer, unless it requires personal information)

If there is a solution that would be great!
Thanks!:)

Attachments

• WAN DOWN.png
    WAN DOWN.png
    56 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
when you're connected do a ping test with an external server to see how stable the link is when it is up. Tell your ISP to check the cabling and connection in the cabinet.

It sounds/looks like the issue is either your ONT or else it is an issue with the router and the MoCA WAN bridging. Can you have your ONT put in to Ethernet mode and connect a new/different router directly to the ethernet port on it to test it out?

It sounds/looks like the issue is either your ONT or else it is an issue with the router and the MoCA WAN bridging. Can you have your ONT put in to Ethernet mode and connect a new/different router directly to the ethernet port on it to test it out?

+1. That's exactly what I would do.

As a matter of fact, the only reason I use my coax modem now is for video on demand, all traffic traverses a different firewall/router now (and it's MUCH more stable than that Actiontec was)

when you're connected do a ping test with an external server to see how stable the link is when it is up. Tell your ISP to check the cabling and connection in the cabinet.

I've done the pingtest and occasionally it would fail to deliver 20% of the packets and tells me
"request timed out"

Sadly I do not have another router, but will the router that I use right now be OK?

Have you tried leaving the network equipment off for an extended period? Physically disconnected from the wall plug?

If you haven't, try doing so for 30 minutes or more if you can. It may reset your hardware with your ISP's and get everything working for you.

Sadly I do not have another router, but will the router that I use right now be OK?

You could try connecting it to the ethernet WAN port up to the ONT's ethernet port (you'll have to have it enabled by verizon, should just be a phone call explaining you need it enabled and it should take all of 5-10 minutes).

That won't rule out that there is an issue with the Verizon router itself, only that there is an issue with your coax and/or the MoCA bridge module within the Verizon router itself.

If you have 20% packet loss (if that is actually what it is) I'd go with Coax wiring issue, bridge module, verizon router or ONT. Doesn't necessarily narrow it down, but it does actually expand it to the Coax wiring itself as a possible problem (as that much packet loss might be forcing the connection to recycle).

Can you pick up a cheap $20 router to try?

With nothing else going on in your network and your computer directly wired to the Verizon modem, start a constant ping to 192.168.1.1. Let that run for as long as you need to verify the modem is staying up.

It looks like the WAN is falling off on the modem and I can't remember if it's true, but I think my Actiontec would reboot if it lost WAN connectivity.

Also, check your signal levels in the router for the Coax, it's quite possible that the signal is intermittent or just above the threshold for connection and due to a dirty connector/poor cabling/too many splitters, it fails.

With nothing else going on in your network and your computer directly wired to the Verizon modem, start a constant ping to 192.168.1.1. Let that run for as long as you need to verify the modem is staying up.

It looks like the WAN is falling off on the modem and I can't remember if it's true, but I think my Actiontec would reboot if it lost WAN connectivity.

Also, check your signal levels in the router for the Coax, it's quite possible that the signal is intermittent or just above the threshold for connection and due to a dirty connector/poor cabling/too many splitters, it fails.

My Actiontec never rebooted if it lost WAN.

I'd also check coax signal strength. I am kind of suspecting that might be the issue, but then again it might not be at all. One more thing to check.

This (ten)