What's new

Control Channels on AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houmi

Regular Contributor
I was using the Apple airport utility app to check the db on my 2.4/5.0ghz of router vs AImesh node and I noticed the 2.4 & 5.0 ghz bands on both AImesh Node and Router use the same channels (11 on 2.4 and 153 I believe in 5.0)

I remember when I had set my router before with Merlin and using the node as an AP, I was using different channels (same SSID though) per recommendations here.

Any reason AImesh is using the same channel ?

Edit: I meant to send this to ASUSWRT official group , but accidentally posted it here.

I was using the Apple airport utility app to check the db on my 2.4/5.0ghz of router vs AImesh node and I noticed the 2.4 & 5.0 ghz bands on both AImesh Node and Router use the same channels (11 on 2.4 and 153 I believe in 5.0)

I remember when I had set my router before with Merlin and using the node as an AP, I was using different channels (same SSID though) per recommendations here.

Any reason AImesh is using the same channel ?

Edit: I meant to send this to ASUSWRT official group , but accidentally posted it here.
The answer is because aimesh uses an "umbrella" concept for its wifi vs having everything on a different channel, this is because it is suppose to support the features aimesh "promises" as far a transitioning and communication between nodes and bands.

Thats common with all mesh systems AFAIK. Wifi-backhaul must be on the same channel. Same channels means you dont block as much in your neigbhourhood what might be a reason too. And maybe easier for older clients to move.

So my AIMesh node is connected via Ethernet backhaul - is there a way for me to have the node use different channels ? Or would I have to switch the AImesh node to be an AP ?

I am using two RT-AC1900P routers.

ame channels means you dont block as much in your neigbhourhood
Be thankful for this design. My twit neighbor has a google mesh that he somehow managed to set up *to use channels 1, 6, and 11*, and claims that's what the directions told him to do. Fortunately, his house is for sale so hopefully the next resident has more sense (technical and common).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!