What's new

Convert AC86U as an Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
Want to convert an AC86U router into an AP. Do I power up and reset it to factory mode. Connecting it to the existing router via eternet cable, what settings do I need to setup please? Just need extended wifi coverage - so will I be better off with using it as an extender?

Last edited:
Go into the GUI and reset it to factory defaults first.

Then, change the operation mode to Access Point from the Setup Wizard.

Go to Administration > Operation Mode and select Access Point(AP) mode. Read the description on that page.

Thank you. Reading the description on that page, am I right in assuming that the AP mode requires a wired ethernet conntection between the two routers and a Repeater mode uses WiFi. Since I have Ethernet connection available, AP might be a better route.

Yes, that is correct (wired AP is the way to go).

Do I power up and reset it to factory mode.

You don't need to reset it. Just enable AP mode. It will continue as AP with all your Wi-Fi settings and client names. The router IP will change, if you don't set it manually. Use Asus Discovery Tool or look at your main router client list to find what the new IP is. Do you need Guest Network on this AP?

You don't need to reset it. Just enable AP mode. It will continue as AP with all your Wi-Fi settings and client names. The router IP will change, if you don't set it manually. Use Asus Discovery Tool or look at your main router client list to find what the new IP is. Do you need Guest Network on this AP?
Thank you. Have done it as you have mentioned. Also gave it a static ip address in the main router - not sure if it is necessary.

Thank you. Have done it as you have mentioned. Also gave it a static ip address in the main router - not sure if it is necessary.

Not sure about the Guest network. Anything to watch out here?

If you need Guest Network to the AP, at least use "set isolated" in settings. Sorry, I don't have any Asus routers running at the moment and can't check what exactly Asus called it. It isolates Wi-Fi clients from each other. It's a workaround in AP mode.

If you need Guest Network to the AP, at least use "set isolated" in settings. Sorry, I don't have any Asus routers running at the moment and can't check what exactly Asus called it. It isolates Wi-Fi clients from each other. It's a workaround in AP mode.
Thanks. I have not used Guest mode in Asus before but will keep this point in mind.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!