What's new

Convert DIR-655 into AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vseera

New Around Here
Hi,

I am a long time reader of SNB, but just registered :)

I've been pouring over the forums and reviews for a week now, to take a decision between the EA4500 and the RT-N66U. Didn't consider the WNDR4500 as I've had too many bad experiences with Netgear in the past.

Anyway, I have an EA4500 on order now.

I would like to convert my existing DIR-655 into an AP and use it to provide wifi coverage to the 1st floor of my old house (built in 1969). I can run an ethernet cable to it no problem.

I just need instructions to convert the router to AP by going into its firmware settings. I think I have to disable DHCP etc but can anyone give step by step instructions? I have firmware 1.35NA.

Thanks a lot! :)

Thanks for the response. I read the article and the next associated article too. Very informative! Somehow, I seem to have missed those in my search.

Anyway, so now I am aware of converting my router into an AP.

I have one more question.

Is it better to let the AP have the same SSID so that it works invisibly with my router wifi?
The article talks about clients tending to be 'sticky' and this has been my experience too when I turned a very old D-link router into a wireless AP (using DD-WRT) earlier.

What is usually recommended? Separate SSIDs or same?

I would use separate. Your clients are not going to seamlessly roam unless you have drivers (and APs) that are designed for it. It may be a hassle to manually change SSIDs, but at least you'll have the option of telling your clients which one to use.

Thanks for the response, Tim! :)

I will use separate SSIDs then.

On a side note, I recently stayed at a hotel which had a whole bunch of SSIDs per floor. Overall, there might have been 15-20 SSIDs overall or more.
With names like

Hotel-1
Hotel-2
Hotel-34
etc

When I logged into one of the SSIDs, my device would seamlessly 'roam' between SSIDs, so lets say Hotel-2 was near my room. When I was in the lobby, it would seamlessly connect to Hotel-34 without me having to enter any password, even though I had never logged onto Hotel-34.

Can you explain to me how this is done and whether I can hope to do this?

On a side note, I recently stayed at a hotel which had a whole bunch of SSIDs per floor. Overall, there might have been 15-20 SSIDs overall or more.
With names like

Hotel-1
Hotel-2
Hotel-34
etc

When I logged into one of the SSIDs, my device would seamlessly 'roam' between SSIDs, so lets say Hotel-2 was near my room. When I was in the lobby, it would seamlessly connect to Hotel-34 without me having to enter any password, even though I had never logged onto Hotel-34.

Can you explain to me how this is done and whether I can hope to do this?

Newer hospitality networks, similar to Enterprise grade - they use Thin AP's, with a common controller, and they're designed to allow for roaming.

Recently stayed at the Embassy Suites @ LAX due to a missed flight - they had a Cisco 802.11s Mesh layout - Layer 2 at the AP, Layer 3 at the controller as near as I can tell looking at wireshark traces... was fun while waiting for my missed flight up to Seattle.

if the AP has a different SSID than others, and different than the WiFi router, the user device will list all SSIDs. User chooses. Device displays which SSID is in use and thus which access device, if a access devices have unique SSIDs.

This is usually needed because, as said above, user devices do not assuredly automatically choose best-signal access device.

This is usually needed because, as said above, user devices do not assuredly automatically choose best-signal access device.

Yeah, saw that when I actually read the whole thread. Sorry :) Changed the SSID now and it's working better in my 2nd floor.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!