What's new

Copying settings..possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Living_in_Oblivion

New Around Here
Hello,
I am planning to replace an Asus RT-ac66R with a RT-ac68w both running merlin. 66r is 380.70 and 68w is 384.15, I was wondering if there is an easy way to move all settings (guest and wireless networks, static ip, parental controls, etc.) from one router to another or it has to be done manually.

Thanks

You are absolutely correct, I just want to save some time and i was hoping someone knows how to transfer everything in one file or something.

Thanks

Thank you, I'll give it a try
Yes, use that utility and examine the options. Maybe just extract and restore the custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist. Those are the most tedious things to re-enter. Due to the hardware and firmware differences, you'd be safer not transferring most other settings.

First try using the "migration" option was unsuccessful, It did nothing.
After typing "Y" to the migration question, I waited for 30+/- minutes and nothing changed on putty's screen, decided to go to bed and hope for some results in the morning. Nothing, same putty screen, ctrl+c, then exited. I checked the router and no settings have been transferred.
I'll try tonight again except I will answer "no" to the migration question....wish me luck

Thanks

After typing "Y" to the migration question, I waited for 30+/- minutes and nothing changed on putty's screen, decided to go to bed and hope for some results in the morning. Nothing, same putty screen, ctrl+c, then exited. I checked the router and no settings have been transferred.
I'll try tonight again except I will answer "no" to the migration question....wish me luck

Thanks

You realize, all this time you’ve already spent, you could have started from scratch and have a known good configuration rather than risk creating problems for yourself by migrating settings that might not be compatible with your new router?

Thanks
how did you transfer the backup from the old router to the new one? did you move the usb stick from old to new or just copied the backup files to the new router usb stick.
It could be a permissions issue.

Update.
For a reason I do not understand, the utility fails to transfer the settings from one router to the other.
When the recover script is run from a full backup and after responding "Y" to the migration question, nothing happens.
When ran from a migration backup I get an error message and the script aborts the process "Restore Router Model MISMATCH - ABORT ingnvram-restore.sh 202002161437_RT-AC66U-MIGR Sat May 5 08:42:40 GMT 2018 380.70_0 #Version=30.3.0 0 minutes and 0 seconds elapsed.
Funny thing is the migration backup is for that purpose (copying settings between different routers), isn't it?
Anyway, I started the manual setup of the new router.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help me.