What's new

Correct DNS settings to use AdGuard Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnpapa

Regular Contributor
I am running AdGuard Home on one of my machines and I want to make sure that all DNS requests go thru AdGuard. These are the settings I did. It seems to be working properly but I want to double check. Router WAN points to the local machine running AdGuard for IPv4 and IPv6. DNS Director set to Router. I did not turn on local caching in the router since there is a similar setting in AdGuard, or would turning that on also be a good idea?

Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 8.31.00 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 8.32.16 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 8.31.45 AM.png

Well something is not right about this. DNS is working but the system logs are showing most lookups result in a possible DNS rebind attack.

Well something is not right about this. DNS is working but the system logs are showing most lookups result in a possible DNS rebind attack.

Because you're attempting to point your wan DNS to the LAN. Leave your WAN DNS as automatic, it will only be used by the router for a few admin things. Set the LAN DHCP to hand out your Adguard IP to clients and make sure "advertise router" is unchecked. DNS director I don't think will work in this case (redirect to a LAN server), you can try it, but most likely you'll just have to set it to block all DNS requests not coming from your Adguard box so if someone does change their DNS manually it won't work.

Ok, so I set the IPv4 and V6 settings to those of the Adguard Server. So far so good, but you are right if I turn on DNS director DNS lookups fail.
Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 9.38.53 AM.jpg

Ok, so I set the IPv4 and V6 settings to those of the Adguard Server. So far so good, but you are right if I turn on DNS director DNS lookups fail.View attachment 51041

DNS director is of limited value since any browser or client that supports secure DNS can override it easily. There are blacklists available for common DNS servers to block their IPs completely, and can be installed into Merlin, so that is an option which will kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you don't want to go that far just set DNS director to a dummy IP like 254.254.254.254 so clients not using secure DNS that attempt to lookup to the WAN will blackhole. Obviously you'll need to set a rule for your Adguard box to be able to get out though, if it isn't using DOT or DOH.

- LAN DNS to your AdGuard
- WAN DNS to your AdGuard
- DNS Director to Router
- AdGuard running device with No Filtering
- DNS Rewrites in AdGuard for local domains
- Private reverse DNS in AdGuard so it sees the client names

Don't change anything else. Disable IPv6 if you don't need it.

1687016223246.png

If you filter something they need - they will stop working. You brought them home. They didn't come uninvited.

I was hoping to send all my iot devices thru adguard to filter any bad stuff out.

If it is just IOT devices then handing them your adguard IP via DHCP settings is sufficient. If they are doing something malicious, all they need to do is use secure DNS to bypass dns director/filter anyway. Honestly if you're concerned with them - many malware creators use hardcoded IPs in addition to hostnames (in case DNS doesn't work) so you should be looking at more robust protection like isolating them and letting them communicate to only stuff you want them to in order to work using firewall rules. DNS filtering is more for reducing ads or one (of several) layers of protection for kids. It is not really a security feature.

- LAN DNS to your AdGuard
- WAN DNS to your AdGuard
- DNS Director to Router
- AdGuard running device with No Filtering
- DNS Rewrites in AdGuard for local domains
- Private reverse DNS in AdGuard so it sees the client names

Don't change anything else. Disable IPv6 if you don't need it.

View attachment 51042

If I was running it on a Synology, would the setup be the same/similar?

- LAN DNS to your Synology??
- WAN DNS Automatic?
- DNS Director to Router (Do you put Synology IP in?)

Yes, example when running on separate device:

1687095318354.png

1687095350382.png

1687095378996.png

This way you have clients and router queries going through AdGuard Home running device.

Ubuntu Server and 192.168.168.90 IP is my external device running AdGuard Home with Unbound as resolver.

If I was running it on a Synology, would the setup be the same/similar?

- LAN DNS to your Synology??
- WAN DNS Automatic?
- DNS Director to Router (Do you put Synology IP in?)

DNS director to Synology IP. If you put router then any client ignoring your DHCP DNS would use the router DNS instead of the synology.

You need to make an exception for the Synology in DNS director to allow it to get out or you'll just end up in a black hole loop.

As always, bear in mind any client configured to use secure DNS to an outside server will be able to bypass all your DNS stuff unless you install and regularly update a blacklist for known DNS servers.

@Tech9 suggests pointing the WAN DNS to your internal DNS - apparently this works (have never tried it) but as the other poster mentioned you probably need to disable DNS rebind protection in this case. However in reality leaving the WAN at automatic and setting DNS director to the IP of your synology is cleaner and will accomplish the same thing.

DNS director to Synology IP. If you put router then any client ignoring your DHCP DNS would use the router DNS instead of the synology.

You need to make an exception for the Synology in DNS director to allow it to get out or you'll just end up in a black hole loop.

As always, bear in mind any client configured to use secure DNS to an outside server will be able to bypass all your DNS stuff unless you install and regularly update a blacklist for known DNS servers.

@Tech9 suggests pointing the WAN DNS to your internal DNS - apparently this works (have never tried it) but as the other poster mentioned you probably need to disable DNS rebind protection in this case. However in reality leaving the WAN at automatic and setting DNS director to the IP of your synology is cleaner and will accomplish the same thing.

Thanks, so you would select the user-defined DNs and enter the Synology IP in the corresponding box?

See the screenshots of my test setup above.

Hello,
one thing is not clear to me, with Adguard Home. in "asuswrt merlin", that should indicate as "Wan DNS setting" , I should indicate in "manual config", the address of my router!? (because not knowing, I chose a preconfigured DNS server instead..)
* and for the LAN > "DNS and WINS server configuration", the address of my router!?
thank you!

Last edited:
Hello,
one thing is not clear to me, with Adguard Home. in "asuswrt merlin", that should indicate as "Wan DNS setting" , I should indicate in "manual config", the address of my router!? (because not knowing, I chose a preconfigured DNS server instead..)
* and for the LAN > "DNS and WINS server configuration", the address of my router!?
thank you!

Wan should be set to the DNS you want to use, Adguard in this case. You can choose the preconfigured one or put in different ones under custom.

LAN should be left blank.

Wan should be set to the DNS you want to use, Adguard in this case. You can choose the preconfigured one or put in different ones under custom.

hello, so I have to copy the DNS that appear of AdGuardhome in the "installation guide", to the WAn DNS configuration, exactly like that!? 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.200 (my router) or 190.xx.xxx.xx (IP public (DDNS recorded on the router)
thanks

Last edited:
Don't put anything in the WAN section. Leave that completely alone and at its defaults.

You put the IP address of the device with Adguard Home on it in the LAN section where it says DNS Server 1. If you have an IPv6 address for the device put that in the line that says IPv6 DNS Server. Turn off Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS. Now all devices on your network will get the IP of your Adguard server.

Do not turn on DNS Director or Adgauard will fail.

This is the only proper way to configure this. Works perfectly.

This is wrong, it tries to make the router's WAN interface point to a device on the LAN side. Will cause all kinds of problems. You are creating a loop.

The WAN DNS settings are just for the small amount of DNS needs for the router itself, not for the devices on the LAN side. Devices on the LAN side will take the DNS IP address of the info entered into the LAN settings.

This is wrong, it tries to make the router's WAN interface point to a device on the LAN side. Will cause all kinds of problems. You are creating a loop.

The WAN DNS settings are just for the small amount of DNS needs for the router itself, not for the devices on the LAN side. Devices on the LAN side will take the DNS IP address of the info entered into the LAN settings.

If you have a dedicated Adguard server on your LAN then yes the setup is totally different.