What's new

Cost not an obstacle, how would you proceed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't believe 3 APs will cover a 4800 ft house with 5 Ghz. You may have coverage with 2.4Ghz but not 5Ghz. 600 sounds too high practically everywhere. Please explain. Maybe I am wrong.

I don't believe 3 APs will cover a 4800 ft house with 5 Ghz. You may have coverage with 2.4Ghz but not 5Ghz. 600 sounds too high practically everywhere. Please explain. Maybe I am wrong.

I've seen 1 RT-AC3100 do it over three floors @500o SqFt with the router in the basement. ;)

That customer didn't have 1Gbps ISP speeds, but the speeds they had, were maxed out over 5GHz almost everywhere (50/10Mbps down/up).

400 to 600 Mbps down/up sounds great. I still don't think 3 AP's are required though. :)

I've seen 1 RT-AC3100 do it over three floors @500o SqFt with the router in the basement. ;)

That customer didn't have 1Gbps ISP speeds, but the speeds they had, were maxed out over 5GHz almost everywhere (50/10Mbps down/up).

400 to 600 Mbps down/up sounds great. I still don't think 3 AP's are required though. :)

So you are claiming 5000 sqft coverage with one 5Ghz wireless router? wow.

Hey

So I have 3 eero pro's, 1 to the modem directly and out to a switch then the other 2 connected with ethernet cable to the switch. At this point there isnt a place in the house i get less than 350 down. It is pretty amazing.

Hey

So I have 3 eero pro's, 1 to the modem directly and out to a switch then the other 2 connected with ethernet cable to the switch. At this point there isnt a place in the house i get less than 350 down. It is pretty amazing.

Glad to hear that you're getting good results with your eeros. Love them here, too. They do a lot of things really well, and the firmware keeps getting better. Haven't had a router before where the firmware developers kept adding features and fixing bugs over the long term before. Unusual.

Glad to hear that you're getting good results with your eeros. Love them here, too. They do a lot of things really well, and the firmware keeps getting better. Haven't had a router before where the firmware developers kept adding features and fixing bugs over the long term before. Unusual.

Its really surprising. I planned to spend about 5K. Then i read so many good things about the EERO i figured i would try it and could always send it back in a few days if it sucked. But it has been awesome.

I just don't think so. Asus has the lowest transmit power and not so good range in my opinion. Every other high end router I have used smoked Asus in range at least on 5 Ghz.

I just don't think so. Asus has the lowest transmit power and not so good range in my opinion. Every other high end router I have used smoked Asus in range at least on 5 Ghz.
Being able to yell more loudly many times causes more problems than it solves!

Being able to yell more loudly many times causes more problems than it solves!

Well maybe in some cases. But when my AC3100 could not reach my bedroom to stream on my Roku the R7800 had no problems what so ever. So in some cases yelling more loudly as you say it did the trick and solved the problem.

Well maybe in some cases. But when my AC3100 could not reach my bedroom to stream on my Roku the R7800 had no problems what so ever. So in some cases yelling more loudly as you say it did the trick and solved the problem.
I'd suggest you revisit that because if the ROKU couldn't acknowledge the packets then the shouting would have been wasted. It's a complete and balanced two way street.

Did you collect data from each end of the link? ROKU has "secret screens" where you can observe the connection information.

A roku device relies on receive to view content. The Asus router signal was to low to get the job done. The 7800 was not. Case closed, Asus router no signal, R7800 watching movies. Enough said.

So I take it Kal-EL your house is smaller than 5000 sqft? It is hard for me to believe one 5GHz radio will cover 5000 sqft but I have not used all these wireless routers. I have to go by what people say.

It is completely possible a single device could cover 5000sqft....really depends on location and build materials. It could be an open floor plan 2 story house with standard stick build and I could see it working if the router is in the middle. That is a huge "if" and assumes there is no high bandwidth client on the fringe of coverage.

I know in my 2300sqft 1.5 story home, a single centrally located ASUS could not provide solid 5GHz coverage everywhere. A single centrally located Ubiquiti couldn't either. I have three Ubiquiti spread across the house and really "should" add a fourth up on the top floor to deal with horrible webcams.

I think you end with higher network through put using multiple wireless APs over a single wireless device. Using multiple APs keeps clients from so many fringe areas of 5GHz coverage. You have better coverage up to a point where the over lap is too much which kills roaming.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!