What's new

Could a router be hacked from WAN end if firmware always up to date, no portwarding, no upnp and wifi disabled.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnqhu

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm trying to setup some servers to host some applications which I can access from Internet. So, some ports of my router may need to be open to public. Of course, I'll try to implement reverse proxy, https and firewall to make is as safe as possible.

But to further secure my important data, I'm considering split my home network into two layers. What I have now are one asus rt-ac86u router and one synology rt2600ac routers. I think they both are just consumer routers.

I'm planning to put Synology router for Internet connection. Its WAN holds public IP address, and the LAN subnet is set to 192.168.1.0/24. The servers I want to access from Internet are in this subnet. Port forwarding has to be enabled for the Synology router.

The Asus router is behind the Synology router. Its WAN is in Asus router LAN subnet, for example, the WAN IP address is set to 192.168.1.100 and its LAN subnet is set to 192.168.10.0/24. All my working PCs and NAS are in this subnet. Wifi, port forwarding and upnp of Asus router are all disabled. The default admin account also changed. And let's assume the firmware of the routers are always up to date.

So, my question is:
1. If somehow my Synology router was hacked because of the port forwarding, could the hacker be able to further hack my Asus router?
2. If the answer of the first question is Yes. Then comparing to just put the Asus router facing Internet (no upnp, no port forwarding, no server could be accessed from internet), does the data behind the Asus router have the same security for both scenario? I just care the security of my working PC and NAS data. The servers are not important.

Thanks,

Everybody ends up with software bugs. You have to pick a company and trust them.
It is one of the reasons I use Cisco.

Hi,

I'm trying to setup some servers to host some applications which I can access from Internet. So, some ports of my router may need to be open to public. Of course, I'll try to implement reverse proxy, https and firewall to make is as safe as possible.

But to further secure my important data, I'm considering split my home network into two layers. What I have now are one asus rt-ac86u router and one synology rt2600ac routers. I think they both are just consumer routers.

I'm planning to put Synology router for Internet connection. Its WAN holds public IP address, and the LAN subnet is set to 192.168.1.0/24. The servers I want to access from Internet are in this subnet. Port forwarding has to be enabled for the Synology router.

The Asus router is behind the Synology router. Its WAN is in Asus router LAN subnet, for example, the WAN IP address is set to 192.168.1.100 and its LAN subnet is set to 192.168.10.0/24. All my working PCs and NAS are in this subnet. Wifi, port forwarding and upnp of Asus router are all disabled. The default admin account also changed. And let's assume the firmware of the routers are always up to date.

So, my question is:
1. If somehow my Synology router was hacked because of the port forwarding, could the hacker be able to further hack my Asus router?
2. If the answer of the first question is Yes. Then comparing to just put the Asus router facing Internet (no upnp, no port forwarding, no server could be accessed from internet), does the data behind the Asus router have the same security for both scenario? I just care the security of my working PC and NAS data. The servers are not important.

Thanks,
1. Yes.
2. No matter what you do, the server makes your system get hacked.

Don't expect anything with consumer grade network devices.

It is one of the reasons I use Cisco.
Even Cisco has issues ... and of course they aren't consumer-grade.

Cisco is probably the most hacked network devices in the world. But Cisco fixes things as they come up fairly quickly. Better than most.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!