What's new

Could I benefit from a new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnRob

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a an old (early) TP-Link C9 Wireless Router. Functionally it meets our needs. We don't game and the throughput is more than adequate.
Yet I know it's old with possible security flaws. I'm not bad technically but have no interest in spending any amount of time "Tweaking" the router.

Do folks think it would be wise for me to upgrade to a newer router? If I were to upgrade I would consider the Asus RT-AC68U, based on reliability and performance. ( I believe Asus routers are likely the best in my category but I'm worried about overheating which I hear a lot of complaints about ASUS).

Thanks
John

If I were to upgrade I would consider the Asus RT-AC68U

No. This one is >10 years old model on life support. Your Archer C9 is exactly the same hardware with slightly faster CPU. If your router is running fine and covers your needs - just continue using it. If you worry about security and don't want to spend much money - get one RT-AX86S on sale.

I have similar question, have a AC68U with Xfinity 800Mb cable. My house is 4800 sqft 2 story with quite open floorplan. The router is in open area 1st floor not far from center, so the whole house has good 2.4G connection, fair 5G connection, watching 4k netflix or youtube is never a problem. But outside of the house, the 2.4G connection is very poor to none.

I don't want to spend $300-$500 but thinking about a TP-Link Archer AX11000 for $200. How much improvement I would see?

I know Wi-Fi 7 is coming, but the router price would be $600-$800 which is ridiculous. Be frankly, an average AC68U user who just browse internet and tiktok or watch Netflix would never see any benefit.