What's new

need a new wifi router - old tech. vs. new?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This router stuck on 386 firmware according to later information and no much further firmware support is expected.

True, but Id assume merlin will support it as long as he supports other 4906/4908 based platforms. Maybe I'm wrong. YMMV.

Well that sucks if it can't be circumvented. Merlins on 387 while official cuts off @ 386... Theres no AC router that supports 387 officially?

AX89X (QCA) went on sale for 340 again. Wonder if it will drop for black friday... I'm curious if the 8x8 "teamed" config would help my situation.

Still kind of expensive (old design) considering Gen 2 AX QCA designs are sorta available (Synology RT6600 has a newer 4x4 radio).

Last edited:
Asus apparently decided to cut off AC-class routers from 388 firmware update. AX-class only.
This caught my attention as I was going more by EOL information for my Ac88u.

So essentially the Ac88u is still on sale but pretty much unsupported? Or at least no further security updates.

UK asus site lists March as the last update - ironically, Merlins GPL merge for 386.7 meaning he offers a newer firmware version than Asus if I read the change log right. 386.7_2 then becoming the likely last update for me.

Don't listen to the biased opinions of the user above you. AC class routers will be supported as long as possible, they just won't get any new features 388.xx level firmware may offer.

Yes, they will stay on 386.xx level firmware. With security updates as long as Asus can (easily) support them (same as they're doing now, btw).

So essentially the Ac88u is still on sale but pretty much unsupported? Or at least no further security updates.

No. That means AC-class routers are not getting new firmware features. They may get security updates for some time though.

386.7_2 then becoming the likely last update for me.

Depending on what router model you have, it may not be the best Asuswrt-Merlin for you. Many folks downgraded to 386.5_2.

Thanks both.

I'm fine with no features (for now!) and I certainly have no need for the speed increases that AX can offer. (UK consumer broadband generally topping out at "up to" 1gig makes the various routers with 2.5gig WAN ports pointless here for now.)

I'm still dubious on the likelihood of Asus security updates given they haven't done anything for the AC88U (in the UK at least) for over 6 months but will see how it goes - I'd rather not add it to the pile of old routers just yet if I can avoid it. I wonder whether there will be a 386 equivalent of john9527s fork when the time comes. (And before anyone suggests I start one, I can comfortably say the last thing anyone wants is me offering firmware for their router!)

has anybody experience (good or bad) with those pci-e wifi cards? Like those which @Tech Junky postet at Post #6.
I am thinking about the "Ubit WiFi Card, Tri-Band 5400Mbps WiFi 6" and possible extended antenna.
There are some user complain that things didn't work well or it's slow etc. but I assume it's user handling issue and/or chip related (Intel/Realtek).
Sure those cards or not like a full router and I still think having to similar routers would be perfect match but are those pcie cards good enough?

If I get two very good routers for a good price would be perfect but what if not? Better spending a bit more money on only one good router and then on such pcie card - any thoughts?

has anybody experience (good or bad) with those pci-e wifi cards? Like those which @Tech Junky postet at Post #6.
I am thinking about the "Ubit WiFi Card, Tri-Band 5400Mbps WiFi 6" and possible extended antenna.
There are some user complain that things didn't work well or it's slow etc. but I assume it's user handling issue and/or chip related (Intel/Realtek).
Sure those cards or not like a full router and I still think having to similar routers would be perfect match but are those pcie cards good enough?

If I get two very good routers for a good price would be perfect but what if not? Better spending a bit more money on only one good router and then on such pcie card - any thoughts?

I tried googling that card and its just a AX210 nvme 2x2 card on a pcb.. nothing special. Not sure why they claim 5400mbps.. Stream can only do 2400mbps close range via 160mhz bonding.

They're factoring.. 6ghz, 5G and 2.4G combined.. which isn't possible.. I mean unless you factor "double connect" on intel AX 4XX cards.. but still not reaching "5400 mbps".

4x4 ASUS PCE-AC88 (PCI-E desktop card) + a 4x4 AC/AX 5G router will net you better performance than just a high end router. < $200 total cost if you get a cheap AC86U/GT-AC2900.

This combo WILL perform better than a modern high end 4x4 BCM router + standard AX2XX client config through walls in most homes.

The alternative for dedicated soldered clients is the 8x8 AX89X (Range through walls to 2x2 clients), but its an older Qualcomm platform and wont support merlin.

Last edited:
@jsz

I put in an AX411 into my laptop and server for testing and DCT does boost speeds by adding 300mbps from 2.4. The total with a LR of 2400 is 1.5gbps with a max theoretical max of 1.7gbps after factoring 70% of LR.

While a 4x4 client & router should perform faster the underlying AC protocol isn't as efficient as AX and the bandwidth cap is lower. Pairing a 4x4 AC with an AX AP though could yield better speeds.
6ghz, 5G and 2.4G combined
It's an either or situation with 5/6hhz on the client side. On an AP though there are some concurrent models out now but they're fairly pricey still. Netgear has a wax630e though at $360 that would give you all 3 bands. There are a couple of other companies planning a release by EOY that should bring prices down a bit.

@jsz

I put in an AX411 into my laptop and server for testing and DCT does boost speeds by adding 300mbps from 2.4. The total with a LR of 2400 is 1.5gbps with a max theoretical max of 1.7gbps after factoring 70% of LR.

While a 4x4 client & router should perform faster the underlying AC protocol isn't as efficient as AX and the bandwidth cap is lower. Pairing a 4x4 AC with an AX AP though could yield better speeds.

It's an either or situation with 5/6hhz on the client side. On an AP though there are some concurrent models out now but they're fairly pricey still. Netgear has a wax630e though at $360 that would give you all 3 bands. There are a couple of other companies planning a release by EOY that should bring prices down a bit.

Bandwidth cap only really matters close range.. 2x2 "AX2XX" client in my environment has lower PHY rates with AX>AX connection (GT-AX6000) @ "25FT+" distance (AC router holds better, but performs worse due to worse throughput). This will obviously vary due to walls/interference etc. Not worth the price difference for me. Was netting +50mbps higher on avg.

DCT could help and even out the playing field., I don't doubt it.

Does the AX411 support 3 way streaming to clients? I thought it was only "dual".

Anyway I was commenting on the specific card.. It list AX210. That's a 2400mbps max connection. not 5400mbps as they list on amazon.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!