What's new

CPU (core) maxed and seeing wifi disconnects

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Disk space, perhaps, but Busybox was really about saving RAM space - so even today, that's memory that's available for client state tables, and that's all good..

And I'm of the old school that "the fewer features you have, the less code there will be, and the less likely it can break (or develop security issues as people start poking at it with very sharp sticks)".

Personally, I'm increasingly frustrated with modern software, where many software codebases have grown unmanageable due to including an endless list of features that nobody really needs - all for the sake of justifying continued development, and appealing to the 4 or 5 persons worldwide that might have a legitimate need for those features.

And I'm of the old school that "the fewer features you have, the less code there will be, and the less likely it can break (or develop security issues as people start poking at it with very sharp sticks)".

Personally, I'm increasingly frustrated with modern software, where many software codebases have grown unmanageable due to including an endless list of features that nobody really needs - all for the sake of justifying continued development, and appealing to the 4 or 5 persons worldwide that might have a legitimate need for those features.

Philosophically, I completely agree, but isn't most "bloat" caused by convenience features that the majority use? (AiCloud, Trend Micro crap)

Philosophically, I completely agree, but isn't most "bloat" caused by convenience features that the majority use? (AiCloud, Trend Micro crap)

The Trend Micro DPI engine isn't "crap", it brings genuine value to the router, as a large number of users do use it. Border-security is something that makes sense in a router. The same cannot be said however for Cloudcheck or Smart Sync.

Anyway, Asuswrt isn't the worst case of "feature bloat" (router firmwares have been pretty devoid of features until a few years ago). Look at things like Windows (how many different ways is there to reach the Control Panel?), Microsoft Office (people barely use 2% of its features) or most antivirus software (who will have three different ways of monitoring files stored on a USB disk) for examples on how "old" software have grown bloated with features that nobody uses only for the sake of justifying selling a new version every 1-3 years.