What's new

CPU Usage Experiment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I decided to try the stock firmware on my RT-AC86U today, to see how the CPU/RAM usage compared with the Merlin firmware under similar conditions. To my surprise, the stock firmware has put a much higher load on one of the CPU cores. I need to leave it a little while longer to see what happens to the RAM usage.

Any idea why there is such a difference in the CPU load between the two firmwares? I did perform a full factory reset after loading the stock firmware and then reconfigured everything from scratch.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 01_08_2020 , 17_44_23.jpg
    Screenshot - 01_08_2020 , 17_44_23.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 259
Run "top" and see what uses the CPU. That graph will give you zero information as to what is going on.

I've put Merlin back on as I couldn't remember how to use the "top" thingy. I did have quite a bit of trouble getting it all up and running again though. First problem after installing Merlin fireware and performing a factory reset was that I couldn't log back in (it wouldn't accept my user name/password, so I tried Admin/admin, admin/admin etc, but none of those would work either). So I had to use the reset button on the back of the router, which then gave me the "create a new network" situation I was expecting to see. After I had successfully logged back in, everything seemed to be going OK until I stated assigning a few of my devices to static IP's. On the first attempt, the names and icons I was assigning kept changing back to "New device". Then after a reboot, I tried again and this time it seemed to work. That is, until the next reboot, when not only had all the static IP's disappeared, but all the other network-connected devices I had re-named had reverted back to their default names and icons. So what I expected to take about an hour or so took at least twice as long.

Simply make backups of your settings and the JFFS partition before switching firmware. I can switch between stock and Merlin in 10 minutes here.