What's new

Create separate subnet with second router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DDE12

New Around Here
I have a Fiber optic TV Cable box that is messing up part of my network and I think the solution is to put it on a separate subnet so it can't communicate with my "main" network. I would greatly appreciate some help to accomplish this.

I have Router A as DHCP server on subnet 192.168.1.0 and it's IP address is 192.168.1.1. The IP address pool is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.65

I have Access Point B (wireless router w/ AP mode turned on) with IP address 192.168.1.112.
* Note- when Cable box is connected to LAN port of Access Point B, no other device can wirelessly connect to Access Point B and other wired devices cannot connect to the internet. The Cable box, however, works just fine.

I have Router C as DHCP server on subnet 192.168.10.0 at IP address 192.168.10.1. The IP address pool is 192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.105. Router C does not have the option to turn off NAT or Firewall.

Ethernet cable connects LAN port of Access Point B to WAN port of Router C.

On Router A what do I need to enter for static routing for the following
Network Destination:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:
Interface: LAN or WAN

What do I need to set the DNS server(s) on Router C to? Since I cannot disable NAT on Router C, do I need to set up VPN to Router C or...?

Network Destination: 192.168.10.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: WAN IP address of Router C (e.g. 192.168.1.???)
Interface: LAN

Note that to initiate a connection to any of the devices on 192.168.10.x from 192.168.1.x you will have to create a port forwarding rule on Router C.

If you don't need to access devices on 192.168.10.x from 192.168.1.x then you don't need to make any changes, no port forwarding and no static routes. It will "just work" because traffic going in the other direction is taken care of by Router C's NAT connection tracking.

DNS of Router C can be set to whatever you want to use.

I don't see how the cable box fits into this setup.

Last edited:
I have Access Point B (wireless router w/ AP mode turned on) with IP address 192.168.1.112.
* Note- when Cable box is connected to LAN port of Access Point B, no other device can wirelessly connect to Access Point B and other wired devices cannot connect to the internet. The Cable box, however, works just fine.

Providing some specifics about your actual routers may be useful. Although I would work on figuring out the issue quoted above first and foremost, I would certainly look at whether or not you need such a complicated setup. (Maybe you do, just can't tell from the description).

I would guess (not really my area of knowledge) but I haven't seen a wired connection to an AP. What if you configure it as a router instead or connect the cable box to your router? The other thing that seems strange is why is your ap connected to the WAN port? Shouldn't it connect to a LAN port?

Note that to initiate a connection to any of the devices on 192.168.10.x from 192.168.1.x you will have to create a port forwarding rule on Router C.

DNS of Router C can be set to whatever you want to use.

I don't see how the cable box fits into this setup.

This did work to create a separate subnet and computer's can connect to the internet via WIFI and LAN on Router C. Unfortunately the Cable box, connected to Router C cannot complete it's boot up. My guess is it needs to recognize an outside IP address belonging to the Cable company. ??

So, in review, if the Cable box is connected to the Access point B on 192.168.1.x it "blocks" or knocks off all other devices. If it is connected to Router C on 192.168.10.x, it cannot complete the boot process, probably because it can't connect to the internet. Other devices can connect to the internet on Router C just fine.

Any ideas on what is going on and how to connect the Cable box would be appreciated, as I have run out of ideas. :(

Can you provide some details about your equipment.

What is the make and model of your TV Cable box?

Who is your ISP? Who is your cable TV provider?

What are you plugging your main router into? A separate cable modem? DSL, ADSL, VDSL, etc.

The Cable Box B is an Entone Kamai Model 450. ISP and TV provider are the same fiber optic company. This is what I was attempting to accomplish but when Cable Box B is turned on, Access Point B cannot be seen on the network and nothing else can connect to it wired or wireless. I cannot access it's settings page when connected to it via wired connection. Also, when I added Router C on a separate subnet to Access Point B and connect Cable Box B to Router C, eventually Access Point would disappear from the network. What I have done for now as work around is added a WIFI extender to Access Point A and put Cable Box B on the Providers Router. Everything works fine this way but resulted in me purchasing more equipment and reduced connection speed.
upload_2019-9-14_14-51-2.png