What's new

Creating RT-AC86U as secondary router on Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spurfilm

New Around Here
Please, I need help to setup my RT-AC86U as a secondary router as follows...
I have an existing wifi network on a primary router
I want to connect the RT-AC86U to the existing wifi network (not by cable), but I want the RT-AC86U to become a secondary router (not extender or repeater) and use it create a secondary wifi network through the primary. So the two networks are independent with different SSIDs and wifi passwords.
Is this possible, and if so how do I proceed?
Normally, if connecting by ethernet cable, I would just change the IP 3rd octet from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and disable DHCP, but I don't see how to make this work through a wifi connection. What are the correct settings for this RT-AC86U router?
Any ideas? Thanks.

Asus routers do not support this mode of operation (wireless WAN). This question has been asked many times in these forums (e.g.).

You can't do it w/ the current hardware. You need to obtain a wireless ethernet bridge and patch it to the WAN of the secondary router. There are numerous sources for this device.

[primary router]<-wireless->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-wire->(wan)[secondary router]

You can't do it w/ the current hardware. You need to obtain a wireless ethernet bridge and patch it to the WAN of the secondary router. There are numerous sources for this device.

[primary router]<-wireless->[wireless ethernet bridge](lan)<-wire->(wan)[secondary router]

Would an intermediate/third router in Media Bridge Mode qualify as this 'wireless Ethernet bridge'?

OE

Would an intermediate/third router in Media Bridge Mode qualify as this 'wireless Ethernet bridge'?
Yes. Back in the day you used to be able to buy dedicated wireless Ethernet bridges (I have a couple of them). But they went out of fashion because they didn't really make economic sense since the manufacturer could simply add that as another mode of operation to one of their existing repeaters or routers. Whatever you call it, you end up with having to use a separate piece of hardware.

OK, thanks everyone. All good and useful comments. I will forget wifi to the primary router and go via cable. It will need to be a long one!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!