What's new

Curiosity question: Hybrid common SSID and per-frequency SSID?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andyross

Regular Contributor
Just wonder about something. From what I've read, if I read it right, WiFi7 allows a device to bond different frequency bands together? I just have an 68U, and do keep the SSID's separate, with a "2" and "5" appended to the end. I have no immediate plans to update as the only WiFi 7 device is my phone, and a Walmart Onn Google TV 4K is the only other WiFi device. Everything else is currently Ethernet.

Mainly asking out of curiosity: Is it possible to have one SSID that would cover all 3 bands (2.5GHz, 5GHz, 6GHz), and still have 3 separate SSID's if you wanted to force a device to one band?

No, that is not possible.

It would be possible by use of the guest networks, but allowing intranet access has occasionally proved problematic. In theory yes, in practice maybe.

Mainly asking out of curiosity: Is it possible to have one SSID that would cover all 3 bands (2.5GHz, 5GHz, 6GHz), and still have 3 separate SSID's if you wanted to force a device to one band?
I don't see why not. I believe you're talking about MLO and I think there are sub-options within the spec that effectively does what you're asking. Whether those options are implemented is another question. But regardless of that you should still be able to create separate SSIDs using (for example) Asus' Guest Networks, just like you can currently.

Sorry @andyross I misread your question.

There is a problem with multiple WiFi 6 bands having the same SSID. WiFi clients end up parking and accumulating in the 2.4 GHz band.
  • 2.4 GHz is best for long range. Phones (in a house) and IoT devices belong here. Although the range is longer, there is more interference from other access points.
  • 5 GHz is best for low latency and clean bandwidth. iPads and media devices belong here. Although the range is shorter, the interference is lower from other access points.
Would WiFi 7 bonding handle this gracefully? Or, if the WiFi client goes out of 5 GHz range, would it just drop the bonded connection altogether?

Well - if one is looking for WiFi7 features like MLO, etc...

Single SSID and WPA3 is going to be a priority... and likely a requirement as cross band support needs the common SSID and authentication from a client perspective.

One might consider WPA2/3 for 2.4/5GHz, but 6GHz band support requires WPA3