What's new

Curious reduced upload speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They've all been disabled from earlier today after all the reboots/reinstalls.I've played with the bandwidth before with no result either. I hadn't played with the modulation scheme - will try that now.

Do not disable them in a batch. If a change isn't seen when one is toggled, best to put it back to where it was (except for Universal Beamforming which should always be disabled).

Do not disable them in a batch. If a change isn't seen when one is toggled, best to put it back to where it was (except for Universal Beamforming which should always be disabled).

No joy. I'm at a dead end I guess. Wish I could figure it out!

What does the wifi menu have in it when you hold down "Alt" and click on it mine looks like this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 3.26.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 3.26.08 PM.png
    312 KB · Views: 424
@Jimbone

Out of curiosity what version of macOS and model of the Mac's ? Any AV on the Mac's ?

Have you tried a different user account? Even the guest account on the Mac to rule out a problematic user account. I will assume its good though, as you mentioned trying other Macs...

I agree with the others, that it seems likely the Mac. But again with you trying multiple Macs, that makes me think Router config issue...

I have a house full of Macs (Apple family) and iOS etc. I have 2) 5300's so if you want, we can compare notes and screenshots etc and see if anything jumps out at us.

If you do want to try and chase this issue. Feel free to send me a PM.. So as to avoid spamming the forums with a huge amount of banter on the subject between us. Then, if we find the reason we can add it back to the topic for others as a resolved issue.

Im not even sure we will find anything, that would amount to an answer. But you never know.. :rolleyes:

There is some superb info here in the forums and this topic alone. Seems like you have performed, all the major obstacle busters...

I have two AC5300's (with VPN) with only Macbooks/iPads/iPhones and I noticed that from firmware 384.9 my performance dropped dramatically (not only the upload but also the download). Obviously your location is influencing your VPN performance (and in my case the level of censorship executed by a governmental proxy). I am currently running 384.10_2 and the following could work for you too:
Configure DNS in the WAN section is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4
Configure DNS in your LAN section is empty
Configure DNS settings on your Mac refer to the ip address of your router
reboot your Mac to flush your DNS (or google how you can force this on your Mac)
The above increased my dropped speed to acceptable levels again.
If that works for you you could add 1.1.1.1 as a DNS above your router ip address on your Mac (for me this again increased the speed).
(my ping time improved from 400 ms to 128ms (which in my case is normal and acceptable with my vpn active)
I hope this works for you too, it took me a while to figure it out but after doing the above, the Macbooks in the house were back on track. (Now, only on "busy hours" on the internet, I notice some performance decrease but that is more caused by on average 14 hops before reaching my VPN service located 7,000km away.)

tip: download the speedtest app for Mac (it is more reliable than the browser version) to test your speed.

@Jimbone

Out of curiosity what version of macOS and model of the Mac's ? Any AV on the Mac's ?

Have you tried a different user account? Even the guest account on the Mac to rule out a problematic user account. I will assume its good though, as you mentioned trying other Macs...

I agree with the others, that it seems likely the Mac. But again with you trying multiple Macs, that makes me think Router config issue...

I have a house full of Macs (Apple family) and iOS etc. I have 2) 5300's so if you want, we can compare notes and screenshots etc and see if anything jumps out at us.

If you do want to try and chase this issue. Feel free to send me a PM.. So as to avoid spamming the forums with a huge amount of banter on the subject between us. Then, if we find the reason we can add it back to the topic for others as a resolved issue.

Im not even sure we will find anything, that would amount to an answer. But you never know.. :rolleyes:

I tried different accounts, set up new ones, deleted networks and re-added them... I've followed all the MBP side things I could find.

I'll send a PM.

I have two AC5300's (with VPN) with only Macbooks/iPads/iPhones and I noticed that from firmware 384.9 my performance dropped dramatically (not only the upload but also the download). Obviously your location is influencing your VPN performance (and in my case the level of censorship executed by a governmental proxy). I am currently running 384.10_2 and the following could work for you too:
Configure DNS in the WAN section is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4
Configure DNS in your LAN section is empty
Configure DNS settings on your Mac refer to the ip address of your router
reboot your Mac to flush your DNS (or google how you can force this on your Mac)
The above increased my dropped speed to acceptable levels again.
If that works for you you could add 1.1.1.1 as a DNS above your router ip address on your Mac (for me this again increased the speed).
(my ping time improved from 400 ms to 128ms (which in my case is normal and acceptable with my vpn active)
I hope this works for you too, it took me a while to figure it out but after doing the above, the Macbooks in the house were back on track. (Now, only on "busy hours" on the internet, I notice some performance decrease but that is more caused by on average 14 hops before reaching my VPN service located 7,000km away.)

tip: download the speedtest app for Mac (it is more reliable than the browser version) to test your speed.

Thanks so much for these tips, I tried them and was still getting a similar result. Then I downloaded the app instead.

The app shows the same d/l speed, but the u/l speed was showing a better rate than the browser test. Maybe they're is nothing wrong at all but my browser was convincing me there was? Seems most likely given everything else has just about been exhausted. The only thing that puzzles me is how the browser test worked so well off site, but at home not so much.

I still think something is up, but not sure how to ferret it out at this point.

Thanks all

There is some superb info here in the forums and this topic alone. Seems like you have performed, all the major obstacle busters...

Agreed. I went through most of it before registering and posting my own question! L&LD's info tab was very helpful, as were several threads on various merlin tweaks!