What's new

curl from firmware doesn't support proxy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saccleo

Regular Contributor
after seting up a socks proxy , use "/usr/sbin/curl -x socks5://x.x.x.x:port cip.cc" to test, it return local ip address not the proxy's.
while the curl from entware works.
is the curl from firmware lack some feature.

Have we not covered that in your previous posts?

Have we not covered that in your previous posts?
i have known the reason that amtm can't work. and i want to solve this by setting socks proxy for curl.
while curl from firmware seems does not support proxy, it is possiable that i need some other necessary steps to make it works?

i have known the reason that amtm can't work. and i want to solve this by setting socks proxy for curl.
while curl from firmware seems does not support proxy, it is possiable that i need some other necessary steps to make it works?

Both Asus and myself compile curl without proxy support, to reduce on disk usage. You're the first one I've seen in 8+ years whose ISP requires the use of a proxy, so this is more than a niche scenario. Other portions of the firmware won't work properly as they rely on wget or on libcurl library calls, so just getting curl modified to support proxies wouldn't solve any of these other problems in your case.

Both Asus and myself compile curl without proxy support, to reduce on disk usage. You're the first one I've seen in 8+ years whose ISP requires the use of a proxy, so this is more than a niche scenario. Other portions of the firmware won't work properly as they rely on wget or on libcurl library calls, so just getting curl modified to support proxies wouldn't solve any of these other problems in your case.

I think many people, including me, need curl to support proxy. For example, I want to create a script to detect the activity proxies. If the built-in curl does not support I will need to use the entware version, which will bring a lot of unnecessary overhead.
So I hope you can consider enabling proxy support, thank you.

Last edited:
I think many people, including me, need curl to support proxy. For example, I want to create a script to detect the activity proxies. If the built-in curl does not support I will need to use the entware version, which will bring a lot of unnecessary overhead.
So I hope you can consider enabling proxy support, thank you.

You can use wget instead, it has proxy support.

Enabling proxy support in curl adds about 26 KB to the library, I'm trying to limit enabling esoteric features that add any size increase, as some of the newer models are starting to get dangerously large.

You can use wget instead, it has proxy support.

Enabling proxy support in curl adds about 26 KB to the library, I'm trying to limit enabling esoteric features that add any size increase, as some of the newer models are starting to get dangerously large.
I do not know that wget supports socks proxy, I think I will try it, if it works it will solve all problems, thank you very much.