What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi LBR20 v. 9.2.5.2.37SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.37.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think quite a large number of people in the world can communicate in English, even if they are not from North America, UK. Australia. It just so happens that English is the main language for communication in the world. Especially in IT, which includes routers and their firmware. I have been to about 25 countries around the world and I have never encountered a problem communicating in English. Also, modern technology such as, for example, Google Translator allows most people who are able to flash router firmware, to understand what is written in the manual for the firmware, to understand the description of the fixes in the firmware, and hence what people write in this forum. Everything is in English.

Well, right now, I checked the download log for this particular firmware version. 12 downloads. From Poland, Germany, Norway, Finland, Austria and USA. So it's quite a common model. But you're right, most of the downloads are from the US.

By the way, it's interesting that US users are offered a service: for only $75 to install Voxel firmware on their LBR20:

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/s...oxel-firmware-customer-device-update-service/

If helping to flash my firmware is a selling point and profit for someone, I think the LBR20 is not such a rare device, and its owners are aware of the existence of the SNB forum and read Voxel announcements in the forum about the release of new firmware.

It's more profitable to pay $75 to someone instead of saying 'thank you' to Voxel and asking for his help for free. It's a crazy world.

Voxel.
It is a crazy world indeed. I prefer to dig and learn from those who share their knowledge. It may take me a bit longer, but, learning and appreciating the teachers is way more engaging and fun!

Here is the problem: I have no strong desire to buy and support RBR20/RBS20, as I already have and support RBR50/RBS50 (this is more advanced version). What I'm trying: is to use the firmware for the LBR20, adapting it for the RBR20/RBS20. So far there are some problems with it and I need to investigate what I'm doing in the background. Not with the highest priority, sorry.

Voxel.
Any possibility of sharing your wisdom / techniques with developers who DO have the RBR20/RBS20? I've been doing firmware for over 30 years and am frustrated that I'm stuck with this PoS FW that lacks basic features, isn't updated very frequently to fix bugs/vulns, etc.

Any possibility of sharing your wisdom / techniques with developers who DO have the RBR20/RBS20? I've been doing firmware for over 30 years and am frustrated that I'm stuck with this PoS FW that lacks basic features, isn't updated very frequently to fix bugs/vulns, etc.
Interesting. In theory, any sufficiently experienced developer can create his own version of the firmware for any NETGEAR QCA-based router. Especially if numerous fixes are available for similar routers like LBR20:

https://github.com/SVoxel/ORBI-LBR20

You have two options, if you have the strength and patience.

(1) Find on live RBR/RBS why your RBR/RBS is blocking my firmware flashing for LBR20 (it's almost the same as RBR20), I even get LBR20 firmware version named like RBS20-V9.2.5.2.38SF-HW.img, but RBS20 (from user tests) refuses to accept this version. Find what I need to change in me version for RBK20.

(2) Step by step update packages from GPL source codes for RBK (from NETGEAR) using my changes. And restoring missing packages. More details in P.M. if anything. A very very very time consuming process that requires a lot of care, but it's the right one.

Details of (2) in P.M. if interested.

Voxel.

By the way, users of my firmware for the LBR20. I'm grateful to @L&LD, for example, for his constant reactions to my firmware releases. However, I even know that there are some stores in US that offer LBR20 with Voxel firmware installed (they make money with my firmware), but I hardly see any reaction from actual regular users of my LBR20 firmware.

You have to understand that you are getting something you need, so react a little bit somehow. I use LBR20 myself, but nobody makes me publish this firmware for silent users. Push me to understand that the publication is needed by anyone but me.

If you want to continue the project, do something for it. Not donations but at least some kind of response. Otherwise let me close support for LBR20.

Voxel.
Big up @Voxel for your work and effort! Greets from northern Europe.

Wanted to say that what You are doing is inspiring and everyone should take from that. What I mean is, what an individual can do in this crazy world. Your work is something that "the company" should have done in the first place. Sustainability, accountability and common sense not to trash working HW because of laziness and profit goes all in the ethos of your contribution, at least in my mind. Where I'm from these are also important to any aspect of life, not to overconsume. And maybe living it up a little doing so?

People profiting from others work without acknowledgement is straight wrong. I'll admit, I get profited secondhand handling my business digital means through Your firmware.
And you saved a fistful of dollars for me for mending this machine that would otherwise be useless! Plus amazing LTE speeds.

I am terrible with coding and such but always eager to try new CFWs. I do own a RBK20 satellite and if CFW for it ever comes out, will flash the it and promise to comment on it ;)

P.S. Having problems with the LBR20 wi-fi staying up but version 9.2.5.2.37.1SF seems to be the most reliable one yet (been using Voxel since .33SF)

@Voxel - sorry for the delay in replying. Another thumbs up for the work you have put in and are putting in.

Thanks for the info - I agree with the two options, the latter being preferable, but finding the time to do such a thing is something I cannot do even though I'd really like to tear into it.

I can take a run at #1 as I have a spare unit I could use (they're actually cheap on eBay - I wonder why?), if I can find some time I'll do a little spelunking.

Is there a resource or place for resources that describe the HW in any kind of detail?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!