What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.11SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1) Flash stock 2.5(http://orbilogin.com -> Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware update

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/Orbi-RBK50-Voxel-firmware/RBK50-V2.5.0.42SF-HW.zip
Flash your devices 1 at a time, wait for it to fully boot before flashing the next. Start with satellite, then router.

Sorry but the link you point is not stock firmware but my very first build. Right links to the stock 2.5.2.4 are

RBR and RBS. From Netgear site.

Voxel.

Just had my Orbi ruined by the most recent stock update... It's been stable for years otherwise. Giving this firmware a try after hearing lots of good things. Thanks for the work you do.

From my understanding the only thing I can't do is factory reset? I have to upload the stock firmware to reset if needed?

Did you downgrade your stock firmware to 2.5 first? What version of firmware did you have installed before you updated?

It's really hard to hard brick an Orbi. You just need to follow the steps exactly to TFTP the stock firmware back on:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

1) unplug power cable from router

2) manually configure your computer to use a fixed IP, subnet and gateway as indicated. (192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0/192.168.1.1)

3) cat 5+ ethernet from computer to router

4) start a continuous ping from computer to router (ping -t 192.168.1.1)

5) use a paperclip to hold down the small inset reset button on router.

6) Continue to hold reset while plugging power back in. Don't let it go. Continue to hold reset for 30 seconds and then release.

7) Once your ping starts to get a reply immediately do a PUT of the stock firmware file.

If you have any issues let us know specifically which step, what you did, what you expected and what you saw.
I'm in the same boat. I was on v2.7.2.104 and read the instructions and flashed the satellite with v9.2.5.2.11SF-HW.

Satellite did not come back online and is pulsing white.

Can I use these instructions for the satellite as I have not bricked the router?

I'm in the same boat. I was on v2.7.2.104 and read the instructions and flashed the satellite with v9.2.5.2.11SF-HW.

Satellite did not come back online and is pulsing white.

Can I use these instructions for the satellite as I have not bricked the router?

Yes, the instructions are the same for satellite and router.

Thanks for that. The instructions were very helpful, even more so than the NG article.

I downgraded both router and satellite to v2.5.2.4, backed up CFG, reset to factory, flashed Voxel FW, reset to factory again, then
restored from backed up CFG.

However, I seem to be able to log in with literally any password (!).

In the mobile app, I can’t seem to be able to log in with any known password.

If I go to change the password, it says that the old password is incorrect.

If I hit Cancel during log-in and try to reset password using security questions, it says that the answers are wrong.

I'm able to SSH with user root and no password. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I just installed this version on my router after downgrading and factory resetting. Seems to work fine so far.

The satellites won't accept the firmware files though, just a 500 error every time I try to upload the new firmware. Any tips?

Satellite hardware version RBS50, Software version 2.5.2.4. Trying to upload RBS50-V9.2.5.2.11SF-HW.img, 500 Internal Server Error every time.

Last edited:

I ran into the same issue without factory resets, just flashing between firmwares (2.7, 2.5 and voxel). Not sure how to reproduce. Seems something was cleared or not picking up the password value properly.

I was able to set the password in the webUI by leaving the "old password" blank.

I just installed this version on my router after downgrading and factory resetting. Seems to work fine so far.

The satellites won't accept the firmware files though, just a 500 error every time I try to upload the new firmware. Any tips?

Satellite hardware version RBS50, Software version 2.5.2.4. Trying to upload RBS50-V9.2.5.2.11SF-HW.img, 500 Internal Server Error every time.

First, you should really update satellites first BEFORE you update the router. Less impactful for when things like this happen.

I'd suggest flashing your router back to 2.5.2.4, make sure everything is working ok and can see the satellites, then factory reset. Then update the satellites one at a time (wait for each one to fully boot after the update) and then flash the router last.

Thanks for that. The instructions were very helpful, even more so than the NG article.

I downgraded both router and satellite to v2.5.2.4, backed up CFG, reset to factory, flashed Voxel FW, reset to factory again, then

If I hit Cancel during log-in and try to reset password using security questions, it says that the answers are wrong.

Certainly not normal at all. As someone else mentioned, I'd suggest downgrading back to 2.5.2.4 and factory resetting. Update to Voxel and DO NOT reimport a backed up configuration.

I had password issues because I restored from backup I think. I am sorry to tell you that to fix it I had to downgrade to official stock firmware v2.5.2.4 , reset, upgrade to Voxel and set as new without restoring.

this fixed my issue

First, you should really update satellites first BEFORE you update the router. Less impactful for when things like this happen.

I'd suggest flashing your router back to 2.5.2.4, make sure everything is working ok and can see the satellites, then factory reset. Then update the satellites one at a time (wait for each one to fully boot after the update) and then flash the router last.
I tried the satellites first, but it didn't work. Tried the router to see if that also had the issues. FWIW the satellites are connected to the router even if they're on a different branch.

I'm wondering the kind of data I can extract from the router through SSH.

Can real-time WAN IN/OUT be retrieved?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!