What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.13SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think Voxel has the right approach essentially just updating the binaries as new versions are released. If folks want to hack, slice and dice, they can do the same as he does.

First, Voxel has not simply "updated the binaries". OMG. The improvements are astounding!

My brief venture into Orbi firmware indicates that "doing the same as Voxel does" is not trivial. I honestly do not need greater performance or amazing features. I am simply whizzed that the latest Netgear firmware has removed the telnet option so I can no longer look at settings or substitute a version of Attached Devices that allows sorting on columns (name, IP, MAC, connection, etc.). "How hard can it be?" to simply swap the stock DEV_show.device.htm with a different one and create a new image? Well, it has me beat so far.

I am assuming it will have the latest Broadcom/Qualcomm (forget which is the Orbi) drivers.
This has a sense really. But IMO only this, sorry.

SnapShot version 9.2.5.2.13.2SF-HW:

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.5->1.16.6.
2. QCA drivers/firmware are upgraded WLAN.BL.3.4.c2-00014-S-1->WLAN.BL.3.4.c2-00014-S-1.394288.4

You can try this SnapShot version. Maybe Wi-Fi is faster a bit.

Voxel.

2. QCA drivers/firmware are upgraded WLAN.BL.3.4.c2-00014-S-1->WLAN.BL.3.4.c2-00014-S-1.394288.4

Voxel.

Were you able to tell if that new GPL release will be useful for a future Voxel release?

Voxel.

This is AWESOME!!! Thank you!

First, Voxel has not simply "updated the binaries". OMG. The improvements are astounding!

My brief venture into Orbi firmware indicates that "doing the same as Voxel does" is not trivial. I honestly do not need greater performance or amazing features. I am simply whizzed that the latest Netgear firmware has removed the telnet option so I can no longer look at settings or substitute a version of Attached Devices that allows sorting on columns (name, IP, MAC, connection, etc.). "How hard can it be?" to simply swap the stock DEV_show.device.htm with a different one and create a new image? Well, it has me beat so far.

I did not mean to imply what Voxel does is trivial in anyway. It is definitely above my head. New upgrades can also mean new chipset drivers. That was the main point I was interested in and hence what drove my request. I put my Orbi system in AP mode and hence, for me at least, I don't need all of their UTM type features. I have a UTM (Untangle) that does what NETGEAR offers and then some for a much cheaper price. I am SUPER grateful for all the work Voxel puts in this effort, providing security patches monthly versus NETGEAR's ... well ... if they ever get to it.

I think Voxel has the right approach essentially just updating the binaries as new versions are released. If folks want to hack, slice and dice, they can do the same as he does.
FYI: I do not "just update the the binaries". As a rule I do compile my versions of binaries from their source codes. Part of codes in Netgear GPL are really pre-built binaries due to their security/know-how or so. I have to re-use them as well when I do integration of new version because of lacking source codes.

Total number of only binaries in my build is about 700
Number of pre-built by NG binaries I have to re-use because of lacking source codes is about 200

I.e. at least 72% of binaries in my build are compiled by me from their source codes by compilers. Plus whole Linux kernel (huge enough). And we have about 80-85 per cents of resulting firmware totally. And these 80-85% are optimized by me, upgraded by me and changed by me because of security fixes.

It is not hack or update the binaries.

Voxel.

Were you able to tell if that new GPL release will be useful for a future Voxel release?
Sorry but not yet. No time right now. Just brief walking through.

The only opinion that no any important updates but rather some kind of additional enclosing of sources, disabling such stuffs as telnet, use of encrypted partition to do not share SSL certificate and some kind of fixes of bugs introduced by NG/DNI in previous 2.7.x versions. Leaving know CVE not closed. E.g.
CVE-2019-11477
CVE-2019-11478
CVE-2019-11479

in kernel are not fixed. OpenSSL is not accelerated. CVE-2020-12762 is not fixed. etc. etc. etc.

No any urgency with this. Also, because of mentioned above prebuilt binaries from their GPL and changed compilation flags I have to either integrate whole changes from 2.7.x (including disabled telnet etc) or to not do it.

Probably partial integration will be performed by me (as it was done for QCA drivers/firmware). Later. And maybe. And only part where source codes are available.

Voxel.

Voxel.

is anyone benchmarking this snapshot with the updated drivers?

is anyone benchmarking this snapshot with the updated drivers?
I am, a bit. Got about 585Mbpsfor my Wi-Fi client. I do not remember such results with Orbi before.

Maybe I am mistaken, sorry.

No, test yourself of course. I am interested in the results as well.

Voxel.

I am, a bit. Got about 585Mbpsfor my Wi-Fi client. I do not remember such results with Orbi before.

Maybe I am mistaken, sorry.

No, test yourself of course. I am interested in the results as well.

Voxel.
I have noticed speed improvements when running speed tests on my end. I hit 600+ Mbps for the first time. Thanks @Voxel !

Your thanks are for QCA. Not because of my work.

Voxel.

You are too modest. Value is about having the needed features in a performant and reliable package. And you are the one to Thank for this!

I were going to replace my set of RBK50 but because of your great work they have a new life and soul :D

Hi Voxel. I noticed two new folders in the repository.

The LBR20, which from the readme appears to be aligning RBR50 firmware to work for LBR20?

A "snapshot" folder, which from the readme appears to be a "beta" folder of ongoing development before it it becomes stable and posted in the forum.

Can you elaborate more?

The LBR20, which from the readme appears to be aligning RBR50 firmware to work for LBR20?
No. It is not aligning RBR50 firmware. Created exactly for LBR20 using LBR20 NG/DNI GPL sources. There are a lot of common parts of course. But thee same as e.g. a lot of packages in RBK50 firmware are the same as in R7800/R9000 fw.

Under testing so not declared yet here. People from other forum related to LTE perform the testing.

A "snapshot" folder, which from the readme appears to be a "beta" folder of ongoing development before it it becomes stable and posted in the forum.
ShapShot folder: if there are only minor changes vs published release, I put it into ShanShot folder. Currently: only QCA drivers/firmware are changed. No sense for me to release and publish new version. I.e. version there is:

Voxel.

Last edited:
Flashed my system to RBK50-V9.2.5.2.13.2SF-HW last night - went to stock firmware 2.5.2.4 then a reset to factory settings to just make sure everything went smooth before I flashed to Voxel's latest firmware. Very impressed with speed and reliability so far! I wish I had done this earlier. Currently running 1 - RBR50 and 3 - RBS50's on my home system.

So when Voxel releases a update do we flash directly over the old? Also will the updates show up via the Orbi App or logging into the router?

Thank you Voxel!!

1627129266408.png

Just flashed this for the first time. Followed instructions to downgrade both the router and satellite, starting with the satellite. Here's my question...

The QuickStart seems to suggest that SSH should work with root and the webgui password. That isn't working for me, as I'm getting access denied. What have I done wrong?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!