What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.13SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@CrimpOn mentioned it so I was hoping he had a link handy. I’m just curious, TBH I’m not going back to stock firmware for many reasons including ssh access
In addition to my own immature rant and the several URGENT ports by SLK-Purdue, there are a number of posts in the general threads about the new firmware, such as:
Telnet and autoupdate: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR-RBS-50-firmware-2-7-3-22/m-p/2124626#M124110
Bricked Router: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2124044#M124055

In addition to my own immature rant and the several URGENT ports by SLK-Purdue, there are a number of posts in the general threads about the new firmware, such as:
Telnet and autoupdate: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR-RBS-50-firmware-2-7-3-22/m-p/2124626#M124110
Bricked Router: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2124044#M124055
I can confirm that Netgear's latest auto update to firmware 2.7.3.22 screwed up my system. Debug no longer allows Telnet just as CrimpOn said. This was my final straw and the reason I loaded VOXEL's firmware about 1 week ago and has been FLAWLESS!!

What took you so long? :D

Well, let us see:

1) Thin version. Is not it enough just to disable practically all NG's 'cookies' such as Armor, Disney Circle, not workable ReadyCloud, my own SMB, etc? I have all above disabled and CPU of my ORBI is practically idle. 'How-to' is in my QuickStart.txt.

I think that there could be something e.g. like single option in NVRAM to disable all these 'cookies'. Just to understand your wishes. All of these settings are kept in your backed up config, so no any needs to repeat any manipulations after flasing the new version. And even more: if you flash the stock: it is OK also with this config.

We are doing the 'perfection' together. I read your feedback. Just to understand and clarify.

2) Problematic, sorry. Checking new fw is hardcoded in the original binary from NG firmware. They refer to NG site. Either I have to hack it (legality?) or... No source codes unfortunately.

Voxel.
Hello Voxel, it is possible to reinstall ReadyCloud back to your firmware and how? appreciated

Hello Voxel, it is possible to reinstall ReadyCloud back to your firmware and how? appreciated
ReadyCloud was never working with ORBI RBK50. It is just not supported by NG for ORBI. As I guess because of RBK50 v2 version (no USB, so no any Cloud). But there is bug in the stock fw: they re-usedReadyCloud scripts taken from R7800/R9000 and these scripts eat your traffic. So could be disabled in my version.

Voxel.

Over in the Netgear Orbi forum a user asked about how to measure peak network load on the Orbi, something which I believe other router manufacturers may provide but which the stock Netgear firmware definitely does not. Total usage, as in Netgear's Traffic Meter feature, is not the goal. Is anyone aware of a standard Linux package that could be loaded on Voxel firmware to provide this sort of report? (This is different from the question which has been asked a number of times: How to get device level reports of network usage. Again, something that other routers offer, but Netgear firmware does not.)

I just wanted to double check before telling the user to "pound sand".

Is the person looking for real time or peak over a certain period of time? Have you looked at ntop?

Thanks for the response. The context of the question regards a concern over whether the ISP bandwidth is adequate for working from home. My contribution was a sense that no tool reporting "peak usage" would be useful because there are often apps that will suck up the maximum bandwidth available, but only for a short time. This is the thread:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Or...QTTZMfDIxNTcyOTN8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M3791

I experiment with the Voxel firmware from time-to-time as it is my "fallback" plan if Netgear finally succeeds in locking me out of the Orbi command line interface where I can no longer sort Attached Devices by column. I have never tried loading additional applications and setting them up to persist over restarts. I'll check out ntop.

So many factors play into a steady connectivity. I read the thread, I think the user will hardly find a satisfactory solution that is not buying a higher speed or changing provider. He clearly says the connectivity is normally stable and reliable , so that’s a good sign he has a decent provider

Appreciate you taking the time to read through this. My opinion remains that he should focus on what is happening on the two PC's. I cannot imagine "heavy financial sites" requiring more bandwidth than 4K video streaming.
Thank You.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!