What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.17SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have a random issue where things connected to the wifi network randomly are disappearing and cannot connect to the internet. I have a few raspberry pi's that are connected via wifi and at random intervals they are not reachable. If i restart the router they are reachable again, then after a certain amount of time they are not reachable again. I am runnint the V9.2.5.2.17SF-HW. trying to fall back to the 16 version to see if it is any different

Hey guys…I ordered a RBR50 set to use with voxel…I flashed the voxel firmwares on them without setting it up on orbi app…now when I try to add it asks for admin password and kept saying it’s wrong. The same password works via browser…is this something anyone faced before? Do I have to start from scratch if I want to use the app on phone to connect to orbi now?

Also my satellite connects via 2.4hgz while my old setup always was on 5ghz which is odd as they are placed at the same place as old setup…any suggestions?

i think the Orbi app requires a NetGear account, which is different from the credentials used to login via browser (192.168.1.1)

at least that's how i use the Orbi app

also, you may need to disable 2.4ghz or force 5ghz on w/e devices you want to use 5ghz

that's what i had to do for devices that would sometimes fall back to 2.4ghz due to distance, but actually work fine (and faster) on 5ghz

or you could opt for even more control and turn down the TX power of the 2.4ghz signal to give the 5ghz signal precedence

but you'll need to SSH or telnet into your router at root to do this

I realized after upgraded to 9.2.5.2.17SF-HW from 9.2.5.2.16SF-HW, the wifi and backhaul connections kept dropping frequently. My setup is 1 RBR + 3 RBS. Thinking of rolling back to 9.2.5.2.16SF-HW. Anyone has similar issue after upgrade? thank you

Thanks for the updates :) I've created a pull request to add a new user script path as I (as a V2 user) lost changes to the ntgr folder on reboot.
Hopefully Voxel you can check it out and merge it as I can't compile this myself

I realise i asked this question on an old firmware version so asking here instead.

@Voxel I am looking to modify the firmware for the RBR40. I have used binwalk and I can find the squashfs filesystem that is in the image. Can I ask you some questions either directly or via PM about how you are modifying the image and repackaging, and is the orbi accepting an image without it being signed?

Thanks

I realise i asked this question on an old firmware version so asking here instead.

@Voxel I am looking to modify the firmware for the RBR40. I have used binwalk and I can find the squashfs filesystem that is in the image. Can I ask you some questions either directly or via PM about how you are modifying the image and repackaging, and is the orbi accepting an image without it being signed?

Thanks

I am sorry, but I do not use binwalk or squashfs or other firmware modification tools. I do not deal with binary firmware. Just normal compilation from source codes. My builds of firmware are not modification of the stock firmware , but usual firmware compiled form source codes. gcc/binutils and compilation from source codes.

You are free to contact me in P.M. of course. But FYI I am not interested in any mods (modification of binary firmware), sorry. Cannot help with this.

Voxel.

Going to install this firmware, my first Voxel :) . I had experience with DD-WRT on my WNDR3700, but my Orbi setup was stock until now. Fed up with my Orbi instability. (1 RBR50, 2 RBS50, 1 RBS50Y)

3 questions I have though:

- this firmware is based on stock 2.5.2.4. Is that because that was a good stable base, and later firmwares are unstable ?
Or is it because it 's just easier to keep the base stable ? Are newer netgear firmwares doing the same kind of updates, or are they completely different.

- For the RBS50Y there is no firmware. What should i best install on that device then ? Stock 2.5.2.4 or keep it on 2.7.3.22 ?

- anyone knows if RBR50 is considered as EOL ? Firmware release 2.7.3.22 is from 6 months ago.
Another reason to adopt Voxels's firmware :)

- this firmware is based on stock 2.5.2.4. Is that because that was a good stable base, and later firmwares are unstable ?
Or is it because it 's just easier to keep the base stable ? Are newer netgear firmwares doing the same kind of updates, or are they completely different.
(1) 2.5.2.4 is a good stable base.
(2) Later stock versions of firmware add just nothing (IMO) except headache for users such as disabled telnet, additional bugs.
(3) Problematic for me to make selective integration from the latest stock because of changed compiler options (incompatibility, binary from 2.7.x.x or 2.6.x.x are not always workable if to use it with the 2.5.x.x libraries).
(4) The only useful from the latest versions was QCA drivers updates and it was used in my build.

- For the RBS50Y there is no firmware. What should i best install on that device then ? Stock 2.5.2.4 or keep it on 2.7.3.22 ?
Use any stock firmware version. No any special necessity to downgrade.

- anyone knows if RBR50 is considered as EOL ? Firmware release 2.7.3.22 is from 6 months ago.
Who knows ;)

Voxel.

Thanks for this firmware. Seems to be running great on my RBR50 + 2 RBS50. The only thing I notice is that my RBS50Y - which is still on stock 2.5.2.4 - keeps in a config_sync state. And disconnects from time to time.
Might try to downgrade it to 2.5.2.4 too. Don't know if will do the bloody autoupdate thing afterwards. Will report back after trying ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!