What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.18SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.18.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a data sheet/document/article/thread that basically outlines what functionality this firmware provides beyond the stock firmware? I see all the various Linux packages, yes, but does it all really mean at the end of the day? I was used to seeing stuff years ago about DD-WRT or Tomato or something else and I could see all that it offered.

So I wanted to update to 9.2.5.1.28 1SF from 9.2.5.1.28 SF it allowed my sat to update but when I click manual it only shows my sat? My internet works fine just can't update the RBK50 Any help would be great!

Is there a data sheet/document/article/thread that basically outlines what functionality this firmware provides beyond the stock firmware? I see all the various Linux packages, yes, but does it all really mean at the end of the day? I was used to seeing stuff years ago about DD-WRT or Tomato or something else and I could see all that it offered.
There is short QuickStart.txt inside the archive with firmware. Practically all additional functionality is described there.

In brief, additional functionality is:

(1) Samba server (if your Orbi with USB port)
(2) OpenVPN client
(3) WireGuard client
(4) DNSCrypt v2 support
(5) Stubby support
(6) Possibility to mount CIFS share
(7) Possibility to use your own custom iptables rules
(8) Possibility to run your own custom scripts (boot time)
(9) If your Orbi with USB port: possibility to install and to use more than 2700 Entware packages and Debian
(10) Possibility to disable such extra functionality from NG/DNI as Circle, Armor, etc if you do not need/use them.
. . .

Voxel.

So I wanted to update to 9.2.5.1.28 1SF from 9.2.5.1.28 SF it allowed my sat to update but when I click manual it only shows my sat? My internet works fine just can't update the RBK50 Any help would be great!
You should use 9.2.5.1.18 1SF but not 9.2.5.1.28 1SF (no such firmware version for RBK50).

And try to clean the cache of your browser or to use other alternative browser. Everything in WebGUI is the same and is workable...

Voxel.

I've flashed for the very first time my RBR and RBS 50 devices.
From 2.7.2.22, then 2.5.2.4 on both devices.
Then applied Voxel 9.2.5.2.18.1 on both.
I've had a disconnection between the router and the satellite and decided to pair them again.
I've removed the satellite but was unable to sync them again.
I've rebooted the satellite but it is now pulsing white endlessly... which means (from the doc) applying a configuration or updating its firmware.

Any recommendation? I'm stuck :/

I've flashed for the very first time my RBR and RBS 50 devices.
From 2.7.2.22, then 2.5.2.4 on both devices.
Then applied Voxel 9.2.5.2.18.1 on both.
I've had a disconnection between the router and the satellite and decided to pair them again.
I've removed the satellite but was unable to sync them again.
I've rebooted the satellite but it is now pulsing white endlessly... which means (from the doc) applying a configuration or updating its firmware.

Any recommendation? I'm stuck :/
Try to flash your RBS again using TFTP:

P.S.
I mean 9.2.5.2.18.1SF could be used flashing by TFTP as well.

Voxel.

Last edited:
@Voxel Thanks for the advice, but I need one or more tips in order to TFTP the firmware.
Following the doc, I'm not able to see a orange power LED. Mine is still solid green, no matter what.
My RBS50 is white flashing at the beginning, then pulsing (white).
I've tried to connect on ethernet port 1 (on the left?) then 4 (? the one on the right), and TFTP during "white blinking phase". No success.
I didn't press RESET, should I?

@Voxel Thanks for the advice, but I need one or more tips in order to TFTP the firmware.
Following the doc, I'm not able to see a orange power LED. Mine is still solid green, no matter what.
My RBS50 is white flashing at the beginning, then pulsing (white).
I've tried to connect on ethernet port 1 (on the left?) then 4 (? the one on the right), and TFTP during "white blinking phase". No success.
I didn't press RESET, should I?
To avoid any misunderstanding. Just forget temporary your RBR and deal only with RBS:

(1) You should power off your RBS.
(2) You have to use some thin stick like toothpick and push the hole near power supply:

1645444950409.png

(3) Still keeping it pushed power on your RBS using "power on" button. Wait for about 30 seconds.
(4) Your RBS should starts blinking (top oval LED, top of your RBS). Now your may drop out your toothpick.
(5) Continue from NG instruction above, p. 3. Any Ethernet port could be used.
(https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/Ho...FTP-from-the-Microsoft-Windows-Command-Prompt)

I.e. now your RBS has the IP 192.168.1.1 and you can TFTP my or stock firmware to this address.

After that (about 1 min) your RBS will be rebooted automatically and you should be able to pair it again with your RBR.

Voxel.

Last edited:
@all - possibly unrelated to the latest firmware but I have an interesting situation.

Once in a while, one satellite and all devices connected to it (eth or wifi) get inaccessible by http.
However when I ssh into the router, I can ping them all and they all answer to curl calls !
I thought of ssh'ing the satellite (from the router) and reboot but the satellite never comes back up.

The only solution that "works" is to reboot the router, which is inconvenient as it disconnects all devices (and I get a new external IP).
Any specific service that may fail and should be restarted on the satellite or router (or logs to check) ? I rather not reboot the router, which sometimes takes 2 iterations to work.

You have to use some thin stick like toothpick and push the hole near power supply
I wasn't sure if a reset (using the dedicated hardware button) was allowed or not since my satellite's firmware was yours and the README.1st explains: "(!) IMPORTANT NOTE: do not reset your RBK to factory default settings (flash the stock version first to perform reset). Reset to default factory settings when you press the "reset" button is disabled.". It's always best to ask first rathen than repair :)

Thanks anyway! My satellite is back on track!

I wasn't sure if a reset (using the dedicated hardware button) was allowed
You know, this TFTP procedure (pushing 'reset' hole when powering on) does not cause the reset itself...

And you're right: reset is disabled by me. So it is safe even if you put your toothpick to this hole on working RBR/RBS. :cool:

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!