What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.20SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-v-9-2-5-2-18sf-hw-v-9-2-5-2-18-1sf-hw.76758/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-19sf-hw.77560/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.20SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.19SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.17.7->1.18.
2. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.5->2.5.6 (fixing CVE-2022-0547, score 9.8, Critical).
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1m->1.1.1n (fixing CVE-2022-0778, score 7.5, High).
4. expat package is upgraded 2.4.3->2.4.8 Relax fix to CVE-2022-25236 (introduced with release 2.4.5).
5. dropbear package is upgraded 2020.81->2022.82.
6. zlib package is upgraded 1.2.11->1.2.12.
7. curl package is upgraded 7.81.0->7.82.0.
8. wget package is upgraded 1.21.2->1.21.3.
9. ethtool package is upgraded 5.16->5.17.
10. bind package is upgraded 9.18.0->9.18.1.
11. libuv package is upgraded 1.41.1->1.44.1.
12. util-linux package is upgraded 2.37.4->2.38.
13. dbus package is upgraded 1.13.20->1.13.22.
14. sysstat package is upgraded 12.4.3->12.4.5.
15. usbmode package is updated 2017-12-19->2022-02-24.
16. Make an order in various Makefiles.
17. Host tools: upgrade mklibs to 0.1.45.
18. Host tools: upgrade zlib to 1.2.12.
19. Host tools: upgrade mkimage/u-boot to 2022.01.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Just to confirm: the Orbi mobile App is not working anymore with the Custom Firmwares, right? I can't log in anymore.

Screenshot from my iPhone:
1649240319317.png

Voxel.

Screenshot from my iPhone:
View attachment 40620

Voxel.
Hm...that's strange! Since I installed the custom firmware on the Router I can't log in anymore. The old username/password combination works on every web gui though. But not for the App anymore, as well as the SSH access (here I need to use root and blank as password).

To help others through my mistake when upgrading Voxel firmware - please see my post here. This is essentially the steps to load factory firmware when you have soft bricked your router or satellite, and the problems associated with doing that.

You need to be very careful to load the correct firmware to the router or satellite and not get them muddled up.

Hello,
A new official firmware on the netgear site for our RBK50:
  • Current version 2.7.4.24
New Features and Enhancements:
  • Admin password brute force attack prevention
  • Admin password strength enforcement
  • EU data analytics opt-out
Bug Fixes:
  • The backup config file is an incorrect file after some configuration changes
Security Fixes:
  • Fixes security vulnerabilities.
Keep in mind that Voxel is built mainly against the 2.5 code base as a result of 2.7 not being made available in a timely manner.

Because Voxel includes updated libraries, often more recent than what Netgear ships, the "security vulnerabilities" are address in this custom firmware months ahead of the official releases.

That said, @Voxel , any update on whether it makes sense to revisit the 2.7 code base, it looks like 2.7.3.22 is the latest available as of now:

Stupid question. Just wondering the versioning.

Why is this thread 9.2.5.1.20SF-HW and should this rather be 9.2.5.2.20SF-HW or am I missing something really crucial?

I thought that 9.2.5.2.1SF-HW was continuation from 9.2.5.1.34SF-HW or is 9.2.5.1. still being developed?

EDIT: @Voxel Continuation links still point to 9.2.5.1. versions threads
EDIT2: everything fixed

Last edited:
Does it matter if my satellite is on .19 and my router is on .20? I can't seem to update the satellite because it is asking for username/password and my admin password doesn't work, and neither does the default password "password." At the same time, neither ssh or Telnet will work either when I try to use my password and connect to the router itself. I can SSH in only using Root which doesn't have a password. If I log into the GUI interface, my password does work. Also, my password is a simple one: only letters and two numbers, a total of 7 characters.

Hm...that's strange! Since I installed the custom firmware on the Router I can't log in anymore. The old username/password combination works on every web gui though. But not for the App anymore, as well as the SSH access (here I need to use root and blank as password).
Same here but if it works for Voxel, we must have done something wrong. Everything updated normal and works great, just the app like you said. I cannot figure it out.

Same here but if it works for Voxel, we must have done something wrong. Everything updated normal and works great, just the app like you said. I cannot figure it out.
I can't imagine anything which might gone wrong. Maybe @Voxel could elaborate a bit more on that? I tried to reset the password via the web interface yesterday but even that's not possible. It simply won't take my routers serial number. I'm clueless here.

Ah, and another thing I tried on this firmware is mounting a network drive to my RBS50v2. The how-to from the QuickStart file seems to be outdated because neither of the locations I put the shell script in (/mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/) didn't work. After a reboot nothing was mounted and the scripts were gone. Any clues here?

Ah, and another thing I tried on this firmware is mounting a network drive to my RBS50v2. The how-to from the QuickStart file seems to be outdated because neither of the locations I put the shell script in (/mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/) didn't work. After a reboot nothing was mounted and the scripts were gone. Any clues here?
I have never tried mounting remote drives, but to preserve files after a reboot you need to put them in the overlay directory. There is also a script that should be executed after reboot, so any commands you want such as mount should go there. Script name is in the QuickStart

Hi, My ISP have locked the RBK to f/w V2.3.5.30_1.2.13
Both Automatic and Manual update does not work.
as per the manual, I should be on 2.5.2.4 to be able to run the Voxel...
any hint...
Thanks,

When Voxel version 9.2.7.4.x release ?
To have parental control functional. But also total compatibility with Android Netgear App.
I do not have any plans to make an integration of 2.7.4.x as a whole. Partial maybe.

Try to flash my new version 9.2.5.2.21SF-HW.

changes.log
Code:
. . .
5. Upgrade 'circle' (Parental Control) package from the stock V2.7.4.24.
6. Upgrade 'dnsmasq' package from the stock V2.7.4.24.
. . .

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!