What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.21SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-19sf-hw.77560/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-20sf-hw.78324/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.21SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.20SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.18->1.18.1.
2. Toolchain: GDB is upgraded 11.1->11.2.
3. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1n->1.1.1o (fixing CVE-2022-1292).
4. cifs-utils package is upgraded 6.14->6.15 (fixing CVE-2022-27239, CVE-2022-29869).
5. Upgrade 'circle' (Parental Control) package from the stock V2.7.4.24.
6. Upgrade 'dnsmasq' package from the stock V2.7.4.24.
7. Upgrade WebGUI LG_VERSION.
8. libmnl package is upgraded 1.0.4->1.0.5.
9. libreadline package is upgraded 8.1->8.1.2.
10. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.15->0.16.
11. popt package is upgraded 1.16->1.18.
12. libusb package is upgraded 1.0.25->1.0.26.
13. gdbm package is upgraded 1.19.1->1.23.
14. nghttp2 package is upgradet 1.44.0->1.47.0.
15. bind package is upgraded 9.18.1->9.18.2.
16. curl package is upgraded 7.82.0->7.83.0.
17. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.7c->1.3.7d.
18. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.17->1.9.18.
19. coreutils package (gnu-date) is upgraded 9.0->9.1.
20. logrotate package is upgraded 3.17.0->3.19.0.
21. sysstat package is upgraded 12.4.5->12.5.6.
22. nano package is upgraded 6.2->6.3.
23. Synchronize 'lua' patches and Makefile.
24. Host tools: upgrade quilt to 0.67.
25. Host tools: upgrade missing-macros to 11.
26. Host tools: upgrade findutils to 4.9.0.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

I have an issue with pause/resume internet for certain devices using Orbi app and Voxel firmware.

For some reason when I try to toggle pause internet for certain devices, it doesn’t work in Orbi app. It resets to resume when I log back in.

Anyone know a fix or what I am doing wrong here?

I have an issue with pause/resume internet for certain devices using Orbi app and Voxel firmware.

For some reason when I try to toggle pause internet for certain devices, it doesn’t work in Orbi app. It resets to resume when I log back in.

Anyone know a fix or what I am doing wrong here?
The same is happening to me.

@Voxel

what happened to your profile picture? Now it's just black

Can anyone help me please?

Trying to get WireGaurd with NordVPN working on the router.

I don't have a linux computer to edit any files, tried using Debian windows sub-system, but cannot seem to mount a USB drive to actually create the folder structure etc.

But in the Voxel Quickstart it states :

"6) Alternative way: place this file wireguard.conf to the root of your USB drive
(any format), attach it to the router and reboot your router. This drive should be
attached every time you reboot your RBR50."

I've created a file, wireguard.conf and saved it to root, plus converted it to LF using Notepad++ (Edit>EOL Conversion>Unix (LF)

I used this guide to pull down my private and public keys from NordVPN using Debian in Windows 11:

I've tried adding the details to the wireguard.conf file, ran the nvram set wg-client=1 and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to be working.

How can I check logs etc to see the issue?

My wireguard.conf file pasted below for reference (obv. keys stripped out)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EndPoint="uk1878.nordvpn.com"
LocalIP="192.168.1.12/24"
PrivateKey="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx="
PublicKey="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx="
Port="48574"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello guys.
I have a RBK50 Verizon version with specific Verizon firmware.
Can I flash this custom firmware?
If the hardware is identical, I don't see why not, but I don't have either a RBK50 nor a Verizon subscription…

Hello guys.
I have a RBK50 Verizon version with specific Verizon firmware.
Can I flash this custom firmware?
It will not be straight forward. Most of the Netgear routers sold with ISP branding have hardware or firmware lock, depending on the orbi model.

From the UI if you try to update fw it will return an error. Only way is fw recovery through tftp.

For hardware lock you need to change the board data and id through telnet first, then tftp for fw recovery and flash the desired fw. (Make sure first by comparing the board data and id of your router with the netgear sold model, if they are same then it is a fw lock)

In case of fw lock,,tftp for firmware recovery and flash the desired firmware.

If you will search around you will find many folks ended up bricking the router by doing above, "be prepared for a bricked router"

It will not be straight forward. Most of the Netgear routers sold with ISP branding have hardware or firmware lock, depending on the orbi model.

From the UI if you try to update fw it will return an error. Only way is fw recovery through tftp.

For hardware lock you need to change the board data and id through telnet first, then tftp for fw recovery and flash the desired fw. (Make sure first by comparing the board data and id of your router with the netgear sold model, if they are same then it is a fw lock)

In case of fw lock,,tftp for firmware recovery and flash the desired firmware.

If you will search around you will find many folks ended up bricking the router by doing above, "be prepared for a bricked router"
Thank you so much for your information. I don’t have the netgear sold model. Can someone give me the board data and id?
Thank you very much.

Hi @Voxel , firstly thanks for all your work on this firmware. It's breathed new life into my router. I was interested in the idea of running the tvheadend entware package with a DVB-T stick to stream live tv around my network (I previously did this on my synology NAS but support for TV tuners was removed from kernel in a recent software update). Is there any support in the firmware/kernel for tv tuners? I assume no but thought I might check. Thanks again!

Hi @Voxel , firstly thanks for all your work on this firmware. It's breathed new life into my router. I was interested in the idea of running the tvheadend entware package with a DVB-T stick to stream live tv around my network (I previously did this on my synology NAS but support for TV tuners was removed from kernel in a recent software update). Is there any support in the firmware/kernel for tv tuners? I assume no but thought I might check. Thanks again!
Even if you could, I would not recommend doing that… tvheadend can become quite CPU intensive if there is transcoding…

As a general rule, even if manufacturers are luring customers with “look all the things our router can do”, a router should only be used for routing, and on top of that can be added DHCP server, proxy, DNS, AP, firewall, IDS, IPS, NSM, VPN and network related routines… But even there, unless it is for small scale, it is better to separate most of these functions to dedicated systems (multiple devices : router for routing, AP for WiFi and the rest on several or one a powerful device with each function on a docker container…).

I really do not know: cannot check it. I do not have such a stick to test. In general there could be some kernel modules needed.

Well. You should try, but w/o any transcoding. In general

Tvheadend is intended to be lightweight, so it will run on a NAS or similar low-powered CPU. Note that the exception here is transcoding

So you have to try.

Voxel.

Thanks so much for replying. Information for owners of RBK50/53 Verizon version, here is the Board data and ID information:
Code:
root@RBR50:/# artmtd -r board_hw_id
hw_id:29765352+0+4000+512+2x2+2x2+4x4
root@RBR50:/#
root@RBR50:/# artmtd -r board_model_id
model_id:RBR50
root@RBR50:/#
root@RBR50:/# artmtd -r board_data
BOARD DATA: 1101

root@RBS50:/# artmtd -r board_hw_id
hw_id:29765352+0+4000+512+2x2+2x2+4x4
root@RBS50:/#
root@RBS50:/# artmtd -r board_model_id
model_id:RBS50
root@RBS50:/#
root@RBS50:/# artmtd -r board_data
BOARD DATA: 1102

After searching the above information on the internet, I found it completely identical to the RBK sold by Netgear. So I flashed stock firmware using TFTP on RBS50 and RBR50. I was finally able to use the latest update. Much more stable than Verizon firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!