What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.6SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it still possible to split the SSIDs? Are there instructions for that?

Possible but not recommended. See this post for instructions:

Voxel.

According to guy who has such Orbi V2 this /mnt/ntgr is ubi block 40MB (different vs Orbi V1) so it survives reboot. Unfortunately it does not survive flashing new firmware as I guess... But it is possible to mount remote share from telnet/ssh and to perform backup e.g. to your Windows computer. Headache, I understand, but I do not have Orbi V2 to make some testing with this and to design something more good. Different layout of ubi/mtd blocks.

How to mount your remote share for backup or restore your configs (e.g. from Windows PC): see my QuickStart.txt.

All these above are just hints...

Voxel.
Well, as a matter of fact my "solution" survives flashing new Voxel releases without losing data, I cannot confirm if it'll survive after factory reset or flashing original firmware again. If you have an v2 RBK50 without USB, these are the steps to have persistent data working with Voxel firmware:
  1. You'll need an unused "partition" on the router internal memory to store data. You can check your router UBI volumes with root@RBR50:~# ubinfo --all. In my case, I selected volume 1 as it stores the backup of network monitoring (vol_traffic.bak), which I don't use, and also has enough space (2.1 MiB) to store my scripts.
  2. Next step is mounting this UBI volume, but you'll need to do it on every reboot. This can be done thanks to Voxel addition of rc.user script, that is executed on boot and also survives reboots and flashing. This is my own /mnt/ntgr/rc.user (remember to make it executable):
    Bash:
    #!/bin/sh
    LOCAL_DIR="/mnt/sda1"

if [ ! -d $LOCAL_DIR ]; then
        mkdir $LOCAL_DIR
    fi
    if ( mount | grep $LOCAL_DIR ); then
    echo $LOCAL_DIR is already mounted
    else
        mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_1 $LOCAL_DIR
    fi

find -L $LOCAL_DIR/autorun/ -type f -exec sh -c "echo running{}; {} &" \;
  3. So, now we have a persistent path on router to store our scripts and other stuff. I mounted it on /mnt/sda1 like an USB drive, hoping that Voxel firmware did its magic with autorun folder, but it didn't (probably because this is not an USB drive and is mounted after boot finishes). That is the reason I included a last order in the script to execute any script on the autorun folder, same as Voxel firmware does on boot with an USB drive.
  4. The overlay folder on this method also doesn't work, so if you want to change or add any system config, you'll have to write your own script to do it on boot and put it on autorun folder. This is an example of my script to change default DNS server to one on my LAN on boot using AdGuard, setting the router as second option:
    Bash:
    #!/bin/sh
    /bin/sed -i 's/option dns $($CONFIG get lan_ipaddr)/option dns 192.168.X.X\noption dns 192.168.X.X/g' /etc/init.d/net-lan

/etc/init.d/net-lan restart

"solution" survives flashing new Voxel releases without losing data
It is interesting...

The overlay folder on this method also doesn't work

rc.user is called at the very last stage of RBR/RBS boot. So it cannot be used the same way as USB. Almost all services are started already.

When USB hotplug is started: very initial stages of boot or immediately after you attach your USB drive to RBR/RBS. So overlay is working if USB is already attached.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,
Great work my friend
I have installed the latest version but I found that SSH is not enabled by Default
I had to telnet and start the service to be able to SSH
but unfortunately this solution is no good after restart of the device
is this a Common Issue or just an issue at my side

but unfortunately this solution is no good after restart of the device
is this a Common Issue or just an issue at my side
Something at your side I guess. SSH works for my RBR/RBS with this version of firmware too.

Do you see any SSH prompt for login (username, password)?

Voxel.

Good morning to all. Has anyone had issues connecting with the Orbi app while on the WiFi network?

The app is telling me my password is wrong but if I cut off my WiFi and connect remotely I can get into the app, connected locally via WiFi I get a message that my password is wrong. Also, if I try to reset the admin password from the browser I also get a message that the password is wrong, mind you that the password I'm keying in to reset the password is the same one used to login.

If I flash back to Netgear firmware 2.5.2.X and update to the latest 2.7.X I don't have any of these issues, but with Voxel firmware the issue arises...

The app is telling me my password is wrong but if I cut off my WiFi and connect remotely I can get into the app, connected locally via WiFi I get a message that my password is wrong. Also, if I try to reset the admin password from the browser I also get a message that the password is wrong, mind you that the password I'm keying in to reset the password is the same one used to login.

Did not you disable ReadySHARE in my build by any chance? It could influence to this app (at least it does for R7800 if ReadyCLOUD is disabled).

Voxel.

This question isn't specifically about your firmware but I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's a way to enable QoS? The speedtest doesn't seem to do anything once done on both the Netgear and Voxels firmware. I've tried messing with the hidden QoS pages too but they don't work either.

Something at your side I guess. SSH works for my RBR/RBS with this version of firmware too.

Do you see any SSH prompt for login (username, password)?

Voxel.
hi Voxel,

nothing it is giving me the "The remote system refused the connection."
but when i started the service manually after i telneted to to the router it worked

hi Voxel,

nothing it is giving me the "The remote system refused the connection."
but when i started the service manually after i telneted to to the router it worked
This also happens to me after every new flash: I have to enable telnet and login one time at least to be able to use ssh, but it works after that even rebooting router.

This may be a n00b question, but I am having some trouble ssh’ing to the router. No issue with connecting to either satellite, but the router keeps saying that my password is incorrect.

The user name should be root, and the password is the one that you use for the webui, correct?

I don’t believe it’s the issue folks are referring to above as it is explicitly saying “authentication failed.”

EDIT:
reset the password via the webui and that fixed it.

Last edited:
Did not you disable ReadySHARE in my build by any chance? It could influence to this app (at least it does for R7800 if ReadyCLOUD is disabled).

Voxel.
Sorry I'm just now having a moment to respond. No, I haven't done anything of that sort at all that I know of, just flashed the your firmware.

I'll check. To say true I do not like to install any additional apps to my phone... But...

Checked. App (iOS) is working with 9.2.5.2.6SF-HW. ReadyCLOUD is disabled. I was able to login using my WebGUI password. Tested speed just for fun.

Voxel.

Reactions: KW.
Checked. App (iOS) is working with 9.2.5.2.6SF-HW. ReadyCLOUD is disabled. I was able to login using my WebGUI password. Tested speed just for fun.

Voxel.
Just to check, I flashed down to v9.2.5.2.5, version previous to this one and once again am able to login using the Android Orbi app, so there is definitely something not jiving with this last firmware release.

Hi,
I'm a complete n00b, and also a bit lazy.
I'm interested in flashing the custom firmware but I would like to ask a couple of questions before...
Is the factory reset necessary? I assigned fixed addresses to many devices and it will take a long time to get them assigned again.
If the Factory Reset is necessary, can I later use the configuration backup?
Is it possible with this custom firmware to force daisy chain? I live in a "long" house and both the satellites connect to the router instead of creating a "chain".
Thank in advance for your time and your patience.

deleau

Hi,
I'm a complete n00b, and also a bit lazy.
I'm interested in flashing the custom firmware but I would like to ask a couple of questions before...
Is the factory reset necessary? I assigned fixed addresses to many devices and it will take a long time to get them assigned again.
If the Factory Reset is necessary, can I later use the configuration backup?
Is it possible with this custom firmware to force daisy chain? I live in a "long" house and both the satellites connect to the router instead of creating a "chain".
Thank in advance for your time and your patience.

deleau
1) Not necessary per say BUT I would personally recommend it. Also, be sure that you are on Netgear firmware no higher than 2.5.2.4 and also perform your factory reset from Netgear's firmware BEFORE flashing Voxel. I wanted to reply to you because I as well assign IP addresses to ALL devices on my home network so a reset for me is a chore as well.

2) I am not sure if you can use the config file from Netgear firmware.

3) Ummmm, Daisy chaining would be the opposite of what you refer to... If you live in a "long" house that would infer that you DO need Daisy chaining but not BOTH satellites are connected to the router, rather the second satellite is connected to the one closest to the router, thus Daisy chaining. If your router is in the middle of the house and the satellites positioned to both sides are connected to it and not each other, then you DO NOT need to enable Daisy chaining.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!