What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.9SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-6sf-hw.67085/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-8sf-hw.68690/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.9SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.8SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.6->1.15.7.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.35.1->2.36.
3. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.44->2.0.45.
(see https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy/releases for details and changes in config).​
4. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20201221->1.0.20210124.
5. iptables package is upgraded 1.8.6->1.8.7.
6. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.57->1.4.58.
7. ethtool package is upgraded 5.9->5.10.
8. sysstat package is upgraded 12.4.1->12.4.2.
9. ngrep package is upgraded 1.45->1.47.
10. nano package is upgraded 5.4->5.5.
11. libreadline package is upgraded 8.0->8.1.
12. tcpdump package is upgraded 4.5.1->4.9.3.
13. libpcap package is upgraded 1.5.3->1.9.1.
14. Fix NG/DNI 'igmpproxy' modified source codes (to provide compatibility with 'libpcap').
15. samba36 package: optimize for a size.
16. Disable SOUND and FUSE_FS support (kernel config).
17. Optimize options for kernel compilation.
18. iprange 1.0.4 package is added (Aegis, HELLO_wORLD).

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Before I brick my RBK50 again, I wish to confirm and double confirm that we need to be on firmware 2.5.2.4 in order to use RBK50-V9.2.5.2.9SF-HW

I tried to flash RBK50-V9.2.5.2.9SF-HW to a 2.6.1.40 and had to ran and RMA. Lucky for me the dealer had a stock for 1 to 1 exchange.

Please read the README 1ST file.

(!) IMPORTANT NOTE: it is strongly advised to update to the stock firmware 2.5.2.x
before flashing this version.

(!) IMPORTANT NOTE: do not reset your RBK to factory default settings (flash the stock
version first to perform reset). Reset to default factory settings when you press the
"reset" button is disabled.

Warning:

I am not responsible for any damage of your router if you decide to try this custom
firmware. You should do all under your own risk and responsibility. Your router is
your router and you should understand the risk to brick it.

Read QuickStart.txt first for instructions.

I tried to flash RBK50-V9.2.5.2.9SF-HW to a 2.6.1.40 and had to ran and RMA.
Usually it is enough to do TFTP of the stock version 2.5.2.4 w/o any RMA. I did it (TFTP) many times.

Voxel.

Is it necessary to do everything in the Quick Start Guide to make the firmware work? Or just do step 1 and leave the rest for the more advanced users?

Is it necessary to do everything in the Quick Start Guide to make the firmware work? Or just do step 1 and leave the rest for the more advanced users?
If you are either already on Voxel or running 2.5 or lower of stock, then just the 1 step of manually updating your satellites (one at a time) and then the router.

Only other point of reference is DO NOT try to factory reset when on Voxel or you'll soft brick your device and need to TFTP firmware back.

Or just do step 1 and leave the rest for the more advanced users?

@Skippy Bosco is right. Just to flash and use.

Only other point of reference is DO NOT try to factory reset when on Voxel or you'll soft brick your device and need to TFTP firmware back.
Reset button is disabled already in my firmware. And no menu item to reset to factory settings in the WebGUI. So if you are using my version you just will not be able to "reset to factory".

Voxel.

Ok i finally decided to man up and install this firmware and it was pretty painless. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing, my upload speed really went down. I'm paying for 200/20 and i was hitting both marks easily with stock firmware but now my upload speed is in the single digits. I've taken several tests from different sites and it's still low. My download speed is fine but the upload got nerfed big time.

EDIT: Still working but i honestly don't see the difference between this custom firmware and the stock one. Maybe advanced users are benefitting more by tweaking what they see fit. They're probably loving it but us casual non tech types won't see much of a difference. This isn't bad by any means, it's just not what i expected. My upload speed is still slow af. Went from 20+ all the way down to 2-4 even below 1 a few times. Idk what's causing this but it was rockin on stock now suffering on custom.

I'm thinking of going back but the TFTP process sounds a bit daunting, at least to me but i want to see if switching back improves some things. Gotta wait til everybody is asleep before i can try doing that. Can't disrupt the wifi or it's my butt if i do lol. Mahalo Voxel for your hard work. It must've taken a long time creating this when you certainly didn't have to and i can see how some would benefit from your work. I'm not one of em sad to say but i appreciate you anyway bro. Aloha nui from Oahu, Hawaii.

Last edited:
Does this firmware care if you have the newer RBK50 without USB ports? We covered this last year but I can't find it now. Thanks

Does this firmware care if you have the newer RBK50 without USB ports? We covered this last year but I can't find it now. Thanks
Yes, you can use this firmware safely on both rbk50 versions. Just make sure the official firmware you are on is 2.5.x. Before flashing to custom firmware.

Reactions: Gar
Oh snap it's that easy? Cool good to know. Can i just update to the latest stock firmware (2.7.2.120) right away or do i have to roll back to 2.5.2.4 first?
You can just flash to the latest stock firmware (2.7.2.120). The only problem is when you try to flash custom firmware you have to be 2.5.x.

Ok i finally decided to man up and install this firmware and it was pretty painless. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing, my upload speed really went down

I'd suggest manually downgrading to the stock 2.5, factory resetting. Ensure you don't enable Armor, Disney Circle or Parental Controls, etc. Keep all defaults. Keep the same SSID and password and your clients won't know the difference.

Then update back to the latest Voxel. That should hopefully resolve your upload speed issue.

Ensure you are testing speed via the Orbi Web Admin.

i honestly don't see the difference between this custom firmware and the stock one. Maybe advanced users are benefitting more by tweaking what they see fit. They're probably loving it but us casual non tech types won't see much of a difference. This isn't bad by any means, it's just not what i expected.

Voxel is based off of stock firmware. The main difference is it includes updated libraries, tools along with optimized compilation and configuration. For the majority of us it is not about "tweaking", visually it retains the same look, things are just more stable, faster and secure.

Last edited:
Ok i finally decided to man up and install this firmware and it was pretty painless. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing, my upload speed really went down. I'm paying for 200/20 and i was hitting both marks easily with stock firmware but now my upload speed is in the single digits. I've taken several tests from different sites and it's still low. My download speed is fine but the upload got nerfed big time.

EDIT: Still working but i honestly don't see the difference between this custom firmware and the stock one. Maybe advanced users are benefitting more by tweaking what they see fit. They're probably loving it but us casual non tech types won't see much of a difference. This isn't bad by any means, it's just not what i expected. My upload speed is still slow af. Went from 20+ all the way down to 2-4 even below 1 a few times. Idk what's causing this but it was rockin on stock now suffering on custom.

I'm thinking of going back but the TFTP process sounds a bit daunting, at least to me but i want to see if switching back improves some things. Gotta wait til everybody is asleep before i can try doing that. Can't disrupt the wifi or it's my butt if i do lol. Mahalo Voxel for your hard work. It must've taken a long time creating this when you certainly didn't have to and i can see how some would benefit from your work. I'm not one of em sad to say but i appreciate you anyway bro. Aloha nui from Oahu, Hawaii.
With stock firmware i had finicky performance, its solid with Voxel thats my experience.

@Voxel quick question on DNS Crypt changes, I have my own configuration saved in my external USB, how can I compare the new default configuration with mine to make sure it all works? If I understand correctly my configuration will overlay the default one as soon as the boot is completed. Should I remove my config, do a first boot, compare and then update?

@Voxel quick question on DNS Crypt changes, I have my own configuration saved in my external USB, how can I compare the new default configuration with mine to make sure it all works? If I understand correctly my configuration will overlay the default one as soon as the boot is completed. Should I remove my config, do a first boot, compare and then update?

Well, It is difficult to describe concretely all the changes 2.0.44 <-> 2.0.45 and to take into consideration concretely your changes. In brief if you change

[blacklist] -> [blocked_names]
[ip_blacklist] -> [blocked_ips]
[whitelist] -> [allowed_names]

if you are using them, this should work in most of cases.

P.S.
What I would do being in your shoes: I would make the diff file of original /rom/etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml from previous version of firmware (9.2.5.2.8SF-HW) with your custom version and after this I would try to apply your changes to new dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml.

All the differences of original configs 2.0.44 <-> 2.0.45

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!