What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.101SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Running those strings and rebooting produces no change because my routers mounts are ALWAYS sda first (NEVER sda1) .. Now the fact there is a protocol for this and I never have an sda1 whatever I do leads me to at least suspect I am not doing this right.
The fact that you are not seeing sda1 because your usb is never mounted properly.
When you plug in the usb, create partition table with mklabel, format it "mkfs.ext4" and disable the "metadata_csum". Reboot router (if needed) your usb will be automatically mounted to "/mnt/sda1/"

Mount location is just a dir (/mnt/sda1/), you can even manually create a mount location (dir) of your choice and mount usb to that dir using mount cmd.

This readme has evolved over years. That is why you are seeing ext2 at places.

For SSH access you need to format usb wih ext4. "mkfs.ext4" enables "metadata_csum" feature, make sure you disable it with "tune2fs" cmd, otherwise usb will be mounted read-only.

For ease of use it is recommended that you create one usb for ssh and one for entware.

If you open the setssh.tar & entware-cortex-a15-3x-initial-generic.tar.gz, you will notice both use different "autorun\scripts\post-mount.sh" script. If you know your way around shell scripts you can merge the two and create single "autorun\scripts\post-mount.sh" that will handle both ssh and entware installation.
Using that single "post-mount.sh" script you can create single usb that will handle both ssh key and entware installation. Make sure you copy the ssh keys and entware to that single usb if you go through this route.

USB (ssh-usb) that enables SSH access is required only to copy authorization keys to the router. Most of us keep that ssh-usb plugged in the router, after firmware upgrade those ssh keys are wiped from the router. Keeping the ssh-usb plugged in copies the keys again automatically after firmware upgrade and keep the ssh access alive.
Info:
You don't need to use ext4 for ssh. Voxel Firmware can read windows file systems!
Standard windows formatting FAT/FAT32/VFAT is ok.
The kamoj addon has an automated way of creating/installing ssh.
The addon even allows you to use ssh without keys, using only password (not recommended).
See FAQ and /usr/bin/ssh_keys_install.sh

You don't need to use ext4 for ssh. Voxel Firmware can read windows file systems!
Yes that's true. I used it one time and then switched to ext4.
I did not unlpug the drive from router for years. Ext4 makes it easier to format (when needed) and use drive from the router while keeping it plugged in. I use the same ssh drive for few other scripts as well.

Thanks again @Voxel

But i have a problem with v1.0.2.101SF.
Mt R7800 restarts randomly all day. The frequency is increasing. has anyone else noticed it.

Plz help

My R7800 is restarting too frequently now, specially at night. plz help on that.
Voxel fw v1.0.2.101SF Kamoj 5.5b27

My R7800 is restarting too frequently now
Highly likely reasons could be [either] faulty power-supply/power-outlet [or] corrupted settings.

1 - Do a full factory reset and manually add settings, do not restore from existing saved settings.
Run these cmds from telnet/ssh for reset: (Courtesy Kamoj FAQ)
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

2 - First try with changing power-outlet else replace router power-supply.

Other possibility could be overheating (lift the router slightly with some pad underneath). Worst case scenario end of life for R7800.

Highly likely reasons could be [either] faulty power-supply/power-outlet [or] corrupted settings.

1 - Do a full factory reset and manually add settings, do not restore from existing saved settings.
Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

Other possibility could be overheating (lift the router slightly with some pad underneath). Worst case scenario end of life for R7800.
Will try it today and will update.

thanks for the reply

Code:
nvram default
nvram commit
mtd erase netgear
reboot

@fossil Thanks a lot.
I have done the factory restore through the telnet.
is this command different then the other methods of reset through GUI or reset pin?

The router is running fine until now as half a day has passed and no restart has occurred until now.

****UPDATE******Problem Solved*****
Thanks a lot @fossil. its been 2 days and no random restart.
grateful for the help.

Last edited:
I'm using the latest Voxel firmware on my r7800 but had a question I'm hoping someone can answer and give advice about. I used to run dd-wrt on this router and while I liked it, I got better performance on Voxel. Probably because of hardware acceleration. Anyway, going from dd-wrt to Voxel, I first flash back to stock using a dd-wrt to stock firmware file. This is where my problem comes in.

When I go to upgrade from this older 1.0.0 version of the stock firmware, neither Voxel's current version nor Netgear's current version will install. It simply tells me I'm trying to install an improper firmware. I have to go all the way back to R7800-V1.0.2.15SF of the Voxel firmware. Even from that I can't install the newest .101SF version. I have to then keep installing in incremental updates (I can skip a few at a time) till I get up to like .53SF. Finally from that I can upgrade to the newest.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and give advice on the best way to install if I ever want to try dd-wrt again? I'm assuming there are major differences in the firemare.

I'm using the latest Voxel firmware on my r7800 but had a question I'm hoping someone can answer and give advice about. I used to run dd-wrt on this router and while I liked it, I got better performance on Voxel. Probably because of hardware acceleration. Anyway, going from dd-wrt to Voxel, I first flash back to stock using a dd-wrt to stock firmware file. This is where my problem comes in.

When I go to upgrade from this older 1.0.0 version of the stock firmware, neither Voxel's current version nor Netgear's current version will install. It simply tells me I'm trying to install an improper firmware. I have to go all the way back to R7800-V1.0.2.15SF of the Voxel firmware. Even from that I can't install the newest .101SF version. I have to then keep installing in incremental updates (I can skip a few at a time) till I get up to like .53SF. Finally from that I can upgrade to the newest.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and give advice on the best way to install if I ever want to try dd-wrt again? I'm assuming there are major differences in the firemare.
Have you tried TFTP

Have you tried TFTP
yes, I have used TFTP before. I actually bought a second r7800 router off ebay to compare dd-wrt with voxel's firmware. I noticed the same thing on both of them when i tried going back to Voxel. I was wondering why. It must be something in the stock firmware too because like I said, It won't let me upgrade to the most current stock either without going to multiple older builds first.

yes, I have used TFTP before. I actually bought a second r7800 router off ebay to compare dd-wrt with voxel's firmware. I noticed the same thing on both of them when i tried going back to Voxel. I was wondering why. It must be something in the stock firmware too because like I said, It won't let me upgrade to the most current stock either without going to multiple older builds first.
Wont be able to help you much. Lets wait for the senior members to jump in.
btw i have a R7800 and have moved between latest Stock, Openwrt and Voxel without any issue

Old thread, but thought I'd post the solution.

I had this issue too
You need to update to newer versions of Netgear's official firmware first (if not using TFTP method.
For some reason the older Netgear firmwares won't update directly to Voxel
From memory I think I needed official firmware 62 or above.

You can download them from here;
-R7800 Product Page
-Downloads
-scroll down until you see 'older versions' click on that and it will display ALL official firmware versions, not just the last one.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!