What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.79SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Main goal of this release: additional boost of the router performance as I hope (slight boost :) ). I succeed to change GCC compiler from the version 9.3.0 to the most fresh version of GCC compiler 10.2.0 (released today, but I checked with RC version, so it is not untested on-the-fly release of course).

What's new in GCC 10.2.0:

Well, now release:

Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-77sf.64371/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-78sf.64890/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.79SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.78SF):

1. Toolchain: GCC is upgraded 9.3.0->10.2.0.
2. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.14.4->1.14.6.
3. dropbear package is upgraded 2020.79->2020.80.
4. libjson-c package is upgraded 0.13.1->0.14 (including fix of CVE-2020-12762). [https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-12762]
5. curl package is upgraded 7.71.0->7.71.1.
6. proftpd package is upgraded 1.3.6d->1.3.6e.
7. iperf3 package is upgraded 3.7->3.8.1.
8. stubby package is upgraded 0.2.6->0.3.0.
9. yaml package (used in stubby) is upgraded 0.2.4->0.2.5.
10. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.12->1.9.13.
11. libubox package is upgraded 2020-05-25->2020-07-11.
12. logrotate package is upgrader 3.15.0->3.16.0.
13. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.5->1.8.6.
14. ffmpeg package is upgraded 3.4.7->3.4.8.
15. libvorbis package is upgraded 1.3.6->1.3.7.
16. bridge-utils package is upgraded 1.6->1.7.
17. px5g package: Makefile is changed to provide compilation by GCC 10.2.0

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

P.S.

Friction57: sorry but not completed yet.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Skipping this one. Nothing of importance to me... Thanks, though!

Thank you for keep on making updates! Now I need to press f5 all day thou cause its the wrong router:)

Skipping this one. Nothing of importance to me... Thanks, though!

Well, of course maybe I release FW too often (monthly). Not necessary to update every time. But e.g. MS releases windowsupdates every second Wednesday to keep Windows and MS applications up to date.

Reasons of release (except GCC 10.2.0 boost) are CVE fix, dropbear bug fix. What is important for some people.

P.S.
And use of new GCC 10.2.0. Not so important but I've never seen such results with R7800 using speed testing program from my iPhone:

1595525304396.png

usually there were 470-480Mbps. Well, I like the results, so why do not release it :)

Voxel.

Last edited:
It's called Microsoft Tuesday update day. Second Tuesday of every month. :)

Along with 'out of band' updates that can be released as they see fit.

It's called Microsoft Tuesday update day. Second Tuesday of every month. :)

Along with 'out of band' updates that can be released as they see fit.
Thanks for info. Sometimes this MS Tuesday makes me crazy (the same as my releases :) ). When I forget to set the pause and see that my work is spoiled on my desktop by automatic update and automatic reboot.

Voxel.

@Voxel

I am pleased to confirm that 79SF is indeed faster for me than 78SF.

I don't have your Internet speed. My Internet is provided via cable, with a subscribed d/l speed of 100 Mbps. The Speedtest built into the R7800 measures my speed at 119.36 Mbps. Using Ookla Speedtest on my phone (a Galaxy S7), my d/l speed is 112 Mbps, and this is over the less-efficient 2.4 band. Definitely my best ever.

Thank you for your work.

Well, of course maybe I release FW too often (monthly).

Gah no! I for one am very grateful that you support with regular updates. Miles better than any of the router manufacturers - puts them to absolute shame. Their product benefits in the eyes of enthusiasts because of your dedication and hard work.

No doubt many others share this sentiment and appreciate greatly the work that you do. As you say, they do not need to update every time if they don't want to.

@Voxel @kamoj wanting to get some insight if you don't mind?

I have a 2 router setup, 1 Dlink DIR-825 in my home office connected to the fiber ONT, and my main router Netgear R7800 in the house providing wired and wireless access to 25+ devices.

I have the R7800 (running DDWRT) connected to the Dlink via the R7800 WAN, so effectively creating double NAT and having two networks, 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x. So far it's been working out fine, but lately I have added a lot of IoT devices and smart speakers.

When I'm in the office and connected to my Dlink, I lose all connection to my smart speakers and other devices.

I have tried to create a static route on the Dlink between the two subnets, and I have successfully pinged devices between both subnets, however it seems that mDNS and network discovery doesn't work across subnets, so even though I can ping devices I still can't stream to them.

I have tried installing Entware and running the Avahi utility on the R7800, which should make the streaming protocols like Bonjour and mDNS work, but without success. I can't figure out how to do it on DDWRT, even with many online tutorials.

I'm considering flashing my R7800 to Voxels latest firmware, and then changing the network configuration to a router + AP setup instead of 2 routers.

I know the more powerful device should do the routing, and the less powerful device should operate as AP, but in my case the AP would have 25 devices, and the router only have 2 devices (office PC and AP, both wired) connected, so does this still apply?

Should the R7800 do the routing for 2 devices or be the AP for 25+ devices?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the update. I noticed last week the R7800's were priced quite low on Amazon. Then for a few days the only way to buy one was a third party as Amazon directly was out of stock. I was afraid Netgear was letting these die off. They're back today. I have an Asus for a backup router being in a work from home environment I can't be off line for days due to a router going bad. I'm thinking about picking up a second R7800 for that backup.

Amazing value and performance with VOXEL and team's hard work. Thanks again.

Whoa.... price back up too. Dang it.

Thanks for the update. I noticed last week the R7800's were priced quite low on Amazon. Then for a few days the only way to buy one was a third party as Amazon directly was out of stock. I was afraid Netgear was letting these die off. They're back today. I have an Asus for a backup router being in a work from home environment I can't be off line for days due to a router going bad. I'm thinking about picking up a second R7800 for that backup.

Amazing value and performance with VOXEL and team's hard work. Thanks again.

Whoa.... price back up too. Dang it.
try using CamelCamelCamel it watches amazon price fluctuations for you.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!