What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.79SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think you should complain since you are not willing to help.
Thanks for the update! Unfortunately smb performance over wifi is still 50% worse compared to stock firmware. Too bad this didnt get fixed.. :(

Well, of course maybe I release FW too often (monthly). Not necessary to update every time. But e.g. MS releases windowsupdates every second Wednesday to keep Windows and MS applications up to date.

Reasons of release (except GCC 10.2.0 boost) are CVE fix, dropbear bug fix. What is important for some people.

P.S.
And use of new GCC 10.2.0. Not so important but I've never seen such results with R7800 using speed testing program from my iPhone:

View attachment 24847

usually there were 470-480Mbps. Well, I like the results, so why do not release it :)

Voxel.
I defintely noticed a better transfer speed between my laptop and NAS; it used to be an average of 22-23 MB/s and with this new firmware it went up to 34-35 MB/s, Thanks Voxel !!

Thanks for the update! Unfortunately smb performance over wifi is still 50% worse compared to stock firmware. Too bad this didnt get fixed.. :(
As @kamoj rightly mentioned: this requires common efforts to improve this. Well. It i better to for you to start the thread re: SMB over Wi-Fi R7800.

As I said before SMB is optimized now for wired connection. There are a lot of combination to test and (my personal obstacles) I cannot resolve alone. Wi-Fi 5GHz is using core #2, Wi-Fi 2.4GHz is using core #1, SMB is using core #2, USB, usb-storage is using core #1 and there is /tmp/samba/smb.conf. Affinity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processor_affinity

All this is fine for wired connection.

If you are ready to go and if you have some experience in Linux, let us go. With your thread.

Very first experiment: just try to kill smbd/nmbd; change in /tmp/samba/smb.conf the line:

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072

replace it by

socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE

and start smdb and nmbd manually from telnet/ssh.

Voxel.

has the WAN port file corruption been fixed in AP mode? i'm now just getting back to trying out custom firmware from stock.

Great work Voxel, thank you!.
I came home from vacation to find my R7800 bricked likely due to a lightning strike power spike (among a list of damaged things).
tftp flashed your .79 onto it and I have a clean refreshed router. Should see in a couple of days if the power spike caused side
effects to the router, gonna run it for a week in vanilla mode before I start adding 'add-ons'.

Muchas gracias, fantástico Voxel!

I install this version, great performance between 78-79, unbelievable!! Very fast loading www pages,.. Great Work. I can't remember the speed!
All the devices connecting good, no stuttering - stopping off loading pages
Gracias,..

:D I don't understand what happened @Voxel!?
Are you magician?:cool: How did you do it???

My OpenVPN Client speed (with Turbo on ;-) top speed has increased from 122 mbps to 137 mbps. :p
(And this despite the openssl speed is lower:

78SF:
type 16 bytes 64 bytes 256 bytes 1024 bytes 8192 bytes
aes-256-cbc 48471.16k 57698.22k 60611.35k 62905.50k 62285.95k

79SF:
type 16 bytes 64 bytes 256 bytes 1024 bytes 8192 bytes
aes-256-cbc 47974.76k 56005.48k 58640.46k 58674.09k 59623.13k

Again (and again) ((and again)) I would like to thank you a GREAT DEAL Mr Voxel, and everyone working with you on the Voxel Firmware for our 7800 router. Never had a problem with your firmware, always stable, fast, secure, ...
Merci Merci :)

Thanks @Voxel for your support on this router. Great releases, always been stable and helps keep the security of the router up to date which is important these days.

Out of curiosity, what are the chances of WPA3 support on the R7800? Would this be something Netgear would have to implement in the firmware?

Thanks @Voxel for your support on this router. Great releases, always been stable and helps keep the security of the router up to date which is important these days.

Out of curiosity, what are the chances of WPA3 support on the R7800? Would this be something Netgear would have to implement in the firmware?

WPA3 will most certainly not come to the R7800 and I don't see Voxel adding it. A router also needs to be certified to be WPA3-compliant

WPA3.

There is a point beyond which its time to buy a new router. While I don't speak for anyone other than myself I do think its safe to assume those of us who have locked onto the R7800 are not looking to stay on the cutting edge. We are looking for stable, higher end performance and usability.

With Voxel's, and team's, work that's exactly the niche the R7800 has filled.

I noticed Amazon out of them again.

Thanks for the feedback @microchip & @jsmiddleton4

My curiosity regarding WPA3 was with the perspective of enhancing wireless security. I figured the hardware is capable to handle it considering the Synology RT2600ac is nearly identical and has it, just wasn't sure how such things work on the firmware side. None the less, I am still very happy with the R7800 with Voxel's firmware builds, does an excellent job. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!