What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.83SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-81sf-v-1-0-2-81-1sf.68365/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...0-2-82sf-v-1-0-2-82-1sf-v-1-0-2-82-2sf.69449/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.83SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.82.2SF):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.8->1.16.2.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1i->1.1.1j (fixing CVE-2021-23840 and CVE-2021-23841).
3. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.0->2.5.1.
4. ipset package is upgraded 7.10->7.11.
5. iptables: add iptables-mod-rpfilter plugin (HELLO_wORLD).
6. libubox package is upgraded 2020-12-12->2021-03-02.
7. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.45.6->1.46.2.
8. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.0->1.13.1.
9. tar package is upgraded 1.32->1.34.
10. nano package is upgraded 5.5->5.6.1.
11. sysstat package is upgraded 12.4.2->12.4.3.
12. gdbm package is upgraded 1.18.1->1.19.
13. ffmpeg package is upgraded 4.3.1->4.3.2.
14. libjpeg package is upgraded 9c->9d.
15. Default congestion control algorithm is changed to 'yeah'.
16. Kernel config: Add IP_NF_MATCH_RPFILTER/IP6_NF_MATCH_RPFILTER (iptables-mod-rpfilter).
17. Kernel config: Disable SOUND support (not needed, saving space).
18. Selective optimization '-O3' of kernel components/modules (slight boost).
19. Host tools (e2fsprogs): is upgraded to 1.46.2.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Please check it first. Maybe not reliable ;).

P.S.
Caën?

P.P.S
Funnily... 981 downloads after 32 min of my publishing. Mainly by our silent friends from China. R7800 is really in the top...

Voxel.
Caen is 45 minutes away ;)

Well, it is now installed and... Oh surprise, reliable :cool:

Nice work @Voxel

@Voxel Thanks again for the new version.
I'm particularly interested in this change - 15. Default congestion control algorithm is changed to 'yeah'.
What are the pros and cons of it? I'm currently still using westwood.
What are ffmpeg and libjpeg packages for?

I want to make one suggestion.
Is it possible to add the fwknopd daemon package to your firmware build in order to be able to use Single Packet Authorization and protect services such as SSH with an additional layer of security and to make the exploitation of vulnerabilities (both 0-day and unpatched code) much more difficult. During this pandemic days when more an more online work and study take place everyday and need a secure remote access maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't want to leave any ports open to the outside world even if I'm using 5120 Bit RSA-Key for the SSH connection and tunneling to my R7800.

Last edited:
@Voxel Thanks again for the new version.
I'm particularly interested in this change - 15. Default congestion control algorithm is changed to 'yeah'.

This was discussed previously. Basically, westwood is very greedy algo that sucks up all available bandwidth when needed, leaving little over for other things that want it too. YeAH is more balanced and fair and while you may see a bit lower throughput, the plus side is that it distributes it fairly across all streams. Westwood looks only at packet loss while YeAH is hybrid and looks at 2 things, packet loss and delay. It can more precisely estimate congestion and the needed bandwidth to distribute across all that ask for it

Last edited:
Agree with @microchip. Discussed yet in 2016. Plus, unification with other routers I support, YeAH is used by default for R9000/R8900, ORBI.

Libraries from ffmpeg and libjpeg are used in minidlna.

Is it possible to add the fwknopd daemon package to your firmware build in order to be able to use Single Packet Authorization and protect services such as SSH with an additional layer of security and to make the exploitation of vulnerabilities (both 0-day and unpatched code) much more difficult. During this pandemic days when more an more online work and study take place everyday and need a secure remote access maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't want to leave any ports open to the outside world even if I'm using 5120 Bit RSA-Key for the SSH connection and tunneling to my R7800.
Probably Entware will be enough for you:

1615622115004.png

Voxel.

New Voxel firmware installed :)
How can I thank you enought Mr Voxel? For your hard work and dedication and patience and...
THANK YOU!!!! MERCI MERCI!!!! :)

EDIT : oh and may I thank also all the participants on this forums, always so helpful :)
Especially Mr Kamoj and Mr HELLO_wORLD :)

Last edited:
Please check it first. Maybe not reliable ;).

P.S.
Caën?

P.P.S
Funnily... 981 downloads after 32 min of my publishing. Mainly by our silent friends from China. R7800 is really in the top...

Voxel.
Just out of curiosity, how many downloads do you have on your r7800 firmware in average?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how many downloads do you have on your r7800 firmware in average?
To say true I do not know... The log of downloads is kept on the hosting server only one day, after that it is archived and later removed.

I tried to check year ago or so: it is necessary to unpack these archives, then perform grep and exclude duplicated IPs (some people are using mutli-downloaders i.e. e.g. 15-10 records from the same IP).

I think about 12 thousands of downloads for R7800 firmware from unique not-repeated IPs after 2-3 weeks since I publish new version.

Voxel.

Thanks for all your hard work Voxel - you put Netgear to shame!
Yeah... I really do not understand NG. Their business plans... It is in their interest e.g. to support somehow my builds. I make them money... I win this competition. There are few normal guys from NG, really... But officials... They should be interested at least to send me their new gadget for my play with this toys/hobby.

Idiotism from the business point of view. I am sorry.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Just Installed .83SF and reinstalled kamoj addon, so far so good.
I bought this R7800 for almost two years right now, and it is one of the best decision i have ever made, especially with voxel's firmware (which is a must).
As usual, thanks for Voxel's effort to make this firmware as good as Asus Merlin in terms of functionality.

To say true I do not know... The log of downloads is kept on the hosting server only one day, after that it is archived and later removed.

I tried to check year ago or so: it is necessary to unpack these archives, then perform grep and exclude duplicated IPs (some people are using mutli-downloaders i.e. e.g. 15-10 records from the same IP).

I think about 12 thousands of downloads for R7800 firmware from unique not-repeated IPs after 2-3 weeks since I publish new version.

Voxel.
The download log may register my IP address only once, but that single download would usually end up on 2 R7800 devices. I'm sure there are other people like me out there using Voxel's firmware on more than 1 device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!