What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.84SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel,
A question, should the NSS (NSS is switched ON) be working and running in AP mode?

My R7800 in AP mode:

Code:
 lsmod | grep nss

Result:
qca_nss_qdisc 32206 0
qca_nss_crypto_tool 8509 0
qca_nss_crypto 16817 1 qca_nss_crypto_tool
qca_nss_drv 139781 4 ecm,umac,qca_nss_qdisc,qca_nss_crypto
qca_nss_gmac 42107 2 qca_nss_drv,dni_enet

Code:
cat /proc/interrupts | grep nss

Result:
245: 191449830 0 GIC nss
246: 164609500 0 GIC nss
264: 0 179219 GIC nss
265: 0 0 GIC nss

Repeat
Code:

Result:
245: 191727883 0 GIC nss
246: 164843067 0 GIC nss
264: 0 179351 GIC nss

Repeat
Code:

Result:
245: 191770412 0 GIC nss
246: 164878454 0 GIC nss
264: 0 179384 GIC nss

. . .

Voxel.

Hi All, I just installed Voxel for the first time on my R7800. So far having two problems. The major one is on my home server which has a fixed IP allocation. It no longer seems to be able to access websites. I also can’t open Plex, Sonarr or Sabnzbd locally on the machine. VNC access to the machine works but repeatedly reconnects ever 15 seconds.
Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

The second problems is irritating but not a disaster. after going to the attached devices screen the router repeatedly asks for password. This is inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

thank you for your help

Hi All, I just installed Voxel for the first time on my R7800. So far having two problems. The major one is on my home server which has a fixed IP allocation. It no longer seems to be able to access websites. I also can’t open Plex, Sonarr or Sabnzbd locally on the machine. VNC access to the machine works but repeatedly reconnects ever 15 seconds.

The second problems is irritating but not a disaster. after going to the attached devices screen the router repeatedly asks for password. This is inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

thank you for your help

thank you for your he

thank you for your help
I would think you need to reserve that static up again in the dhcp list...it gets wiped when upgrading to different firmware.

Maybe related to this:
Q: As soon as I open or interact with OpenVPN or DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking I get a admin/password request
pop up which only goes away after I click cancel, and I'm sent to the password reset page.
I have tried different browsers and privacy modes with same issue.
A: That problem others have even with Netgear stock firmware (You can search Netgear forum a.o.).
Netgear has had many problems with different character sets through the years and their html code is a
"jungle" of tries to fix it.
I have not been able to correct the issue in the add-on yet - sorry!
A solution is to CHANGE password (NOT just enter your old credentials), or it will stay bad until you do.
Use a password without non-alphanumeric characters. Especially "$" should be avoided.
You should try to not use any of these characters in the password:
"Non-English-characters,$,!, <, >, @, %, *,?, .,+,-,/,|,\,&,=,',",`,´"
If it starts working then add "strange" characters one by one till you find out the "bad" one.

I would think you need to reserve that static up again in the dhcp list...it gets wiped when upgrading to different firmware.
I checked at it seemed to be there, I rolled back to stock for now as needed it to work, but will try again at weekend.

A solution is to CHANGE password (NOT just enter your old credentials), or it will stay bad until you do.
Use a password without non-alphanumeric characters. Especially "$" should be avoided.
You should try to not use any of these characters in the password:
"Non-English-characters,$,!, <, >, @, %, *,?, .,+,-,/,|,\,&,=,',",`,´"
If it starts working then add "strange" characters one by one till you find out the "bad" one.
will give this a go too!

Thanks Voxel as always, Upgraded to 84SF for a few days, runs perfectly.
Check the "official" latest version (1.0.2.82), and I saw this:
Note that starting with this firmware release (V1.0.2.82), the following features are no longer supported: ReadySHARE Vault, OpenDNS (Live Parental Controls), remote GUI access, and WPS PIN function. If you want to continue using these features, do not update the firmware.
Although i am not using those features, looks like Netgear wanna discontinue R7800.
Also, Netgear cut features, and Voxel add features, I think Voxel's firmware is the only reason to still use R7800.

Thanks Voxel as always, Upgraded to 84SF for a few days, runs perfectly.
Check the "official" latest version (1.0.2.82), and I saw this:

Although i am not using those features, looks like Netgear wanna discontinue R7800.
Also, Netgear cut features, and Voxel add features, I think Voxel's firmware is the only reason to still use R7800.

They don't want to discontinue. They want to make space for Armor, just like for their other models.

They don't want to discontinue. They want to make space for Armor, just like for their other models.
Do you mean the trial version that comes with orbi and Nighthawk pro gaming router?
Although I don't have good experiences with it, still it is a welcome addition.

Do you mean the trial version that comes with orbi and Nighthawk pro gaming router?
Although I don't have good experiences with it, still it is a welcome addition.
Most likely. There isn't any other Armor. I guess they want to sync the feature-list with the other models and try to make some more $$$ in the process.

Installed 1.0.2.84.1SF, yesterday night. All is fine.
Thank you @Voxel :)

For info 1.0.2.84.1SF:
1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.16.3->1.16.4.
2. Upgrade uci to 2021-04-14.
3. Upgrade curl to 7.76.1.
4. Upgrade OpenVPN to 2.5.2.
5. netatalk-utility: fix error message for '/etc/init.d/forked-daapd start|stop'
if there is no such file.
6. samba-scripts: add possibility to use custom user's config
'/etc/config/samba/user.conf'.
7. Upgrade libgcrypt to 1.9.3.
8. Upgrade libgpg-error to 1.42.
9. Upgrade nano to 5.7.
10. Upgrade ethtool to 5.12.

NOTE: now it is possible to use custom user's config for samba. Just save your custom
config as '/etc/config/samba/user.conf' and it will be used instead of generation of the
new config.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!